Aerial tree work question

KateH

Is there an aerial arb work age cut off?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. At what age does being a climbing arborist for a living lose its shine?

• In your 20s
    • In your 30s
    • In your 40s
    • In your 50s
    • In you 60s
    • Never!

2 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Some good replies already.

I still enjoy climbing, but that’s because I get to pick and choose.

BIG difference between that and climbing full time for someone else.

Completely agree that its more suited to work for a company in your younger years. 

I found that the people pricing for the work had spent to much time off the tools or lack of experienced to quote correctly, it would then fall on the staff to make up for their mistake. 

I use to hate getting sent to an all day reduction as a two man team knowing full well that two good climbers and groundie would get the job done in under half the time. 

• Like 4

I'm 49 and still  enjoy it . Climbing for 26years, but 3 days a week for a while now. Agree with the self employed/employed bit - not least i knackered most of myself doing what treevolution said - racing to finish someone else's job someone  had underpriced ! 

• Like 3

Don’t know how to answer this question I’m a 33 year old lad and still feel fit and healthy so I couldn’t say I’ve been climbing from age of 18 suppose when you get to that time and age you will no. my old man is 58 and still climbing and has been since the age of 20 don’t get me wrong he not as fast as he was. But he just picks and chooses what trees he wants to do but I suppose he does feel it the next day. I’m guessing a lot of the older arb lads on here will no the answers imo cheers 🍻 👍 

Edited by Patrick goulding
  • Like 2

Im 44 and been climbing since I was 16, first 15 years where full on street tree production climbing ... now I pick and choose and probably do 3-4 days a week climbing/cutting or mewp work ... leaves a day for fire wood or maintenance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

You can, though the key point in the question is at what point does it lose its shine

Depends on the weather and time of year!

I'm going to start climbing again this year - but only if I can buy my own woodland.