Aerial tree work question

KateH

Is there an aerial arb work age cut off?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. At what age does being a climbing arborist for a living lose its shine?

• In your 20s
    • In your 30s
    • In your 40s
    • In your 50s
    • In you 60s
    • Never!

For me I think advances in techniques and equipment will mean that people can climb for a lot longer than say 15 years ago. It still makes me chuckle when I see people using a prussik with no cambium saver, to me that’s like parking the truck on the roadside and hand balling the timber when you can reverse up to the tree and chuck it in.

A lot also has to do with your lifestyle and fitness. A lot of climbing is about strength and power to weight but also cardio fitness which is often overlooked. If you are doing a big beech thin and are in the tree for 6+ hours you need a decent cardio base to keep going.

Personally I run marathons and race most long distances , as a result I run between 70 - 100 + miles a week, this gives a massive advantage when it comes to climbing. I’m also just over 9 stone so don’t have a lot of bulk to lug around which can be handy. There will be some instances where my size works against me, but the majority of the time it is of benefit and a lot of it is down to technique and working a tree in a smart methodical manner.

I would assume that a business owner/operator will continue climbing later in their career as they can pick and choose jobs. Contract climbers probably have the shortest time frame as they are brought in to do all the big dirty stuff that others don’t want to or can’t do.

• Like 7

I agree with everyone saying it's about good technique, fitness and methodical working. I am nearly 35 and have just started climbing full time after learning about 6 yrs ago and climbing sporadically. The better I get at climbing, the easier it becomes. If you lean out at awkward angles and haul yourself up in inefficient ways,  you will put strain on your body. There are a lot of climbers, but not a lot of really good ones. I know people in their 60s who still climb. Technique and efficiency is perhaps underrated? There are a lot of people that say it is a young man's game and by the time your in your 30s, you're too old... Blx, they are just quitters and probably were always bad climbers 😜

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is a lot to do with  fitness and diet and methods and techniques equipment and so on but  I think a lot of it is mentally think you have got to have the brain power and not give in but I think as a person there is only you who will no that enough is enough and body can’t take no more but I am dreading how body will feel in another 30 years 👍 

Edited by Patrick goulding
  • Like 1

Alright, I’m in.

The key is economy of effort.

Don’t leave an area of the tree you’re working on till you’re sure you’ve completed it and don’t have to go back, be methodical.

It doesn’t much matter how quick you get up there or out there, it’s your decisions once you’re in place that dictate how quickly the job is going to be executed.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Alright, I’m in.

The key is economy of effort.

Don’t leave an area of the tree you’re working on till you’re sure you’ve completed it and don’t have to go back, be methodical.

It doesn’t much matter how quick you get up there or out there, it’s your decisions once you’re in place that dictate how quickly the job is going to be executed.

Like that my old man drilled that into me when I first started climbing that way you are actually climbing faster and your using a lot less energy 👍 

Hi all, thanks so much for all the interesting (and some very funny) replies! 

The result of the survey so far has surprised me a bit and I'm learning lots.

If you've any topics you think should be discussed I'd love to know. I have some ideas and am thinking about doing another survey soon; it's been fun.

Kate 😊

31 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Hi Kate are you doing research on behalf of the Cycle Touring Club?

No, I do cycle (did LEJOG last year with Beccy who I work with) but our CTC stands for Complete Tree Care Recruitment. 

Sorry to confuse! Kate 😊

• Thanks 1