Aerial tree work question

KateH

Is there an aerial arb work age cut off?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. At what age does being a climbing arborist for a living lose its shine?

• In your 20s
    • In your 30s
    • In your 40s
    • In your 50s
    • In you 60s
    • Never!

' But there are many climbers who are stubborn. Let’s face it, we all are to some extent. ' made me think - across the huge variety of folk in our industry I think stubborn could be the one most common defining trait in a good climber. Welcome to the industry kateH !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jarborist said:

' But there are many climbers who are stubborn. Let’s face it, we all are to some extent. ' made me think - across the huge variety of folk in our industry I think stubborn could be the one most common defining trait in a good climber. Welcome to the industry kateH !

Thank you! It’s an interesting industry 👍 Kate

I’ve just hung up my harness at 39, could of carried on but sat in a tractor feels better on the body these days! After 12 years of climbing and running a business I had got fed up of people and there unrealistic expectations more than getting to old to do the job!

• Like 5

Started having some issues in late 50s and now waiting for surgery. Lucky enough to be working in a team of climbers so if one's having issues another will step up. I'm trying to be realistic about full time climbing beyond the next year as I get into my 60s but enjoy it too much, if it wasn't trees I'd be back on the rock anyway.

• Like 1

Rich Rule makes some very good points about advances in tech.

Us old gits spent years thrutching up on Prussiks and Blakes, sometimes in mid air.

One handing O2O’s, then humping tons out on our backs.

Hopefully, brain engaged, ascenders, SRT, mini-loaders, mini-toppers etc. will result in a much longer working lifespan for modern climbers.

It will always be hard graft though.

• Like 10

I'm 52, been climbing for around 28 years. Still climb most days. As you get older I think fitness is the key. We kid ourselves we are still fit, when in reality we are just strong and as others have said stubborn.

I got back into cycling about 5 years ago after a 30 year break. Boy did I soon realise just how unfit I had become, if I'd had the spare money I'd have bought an e-bike. I'm so glad now that I didn't!!. It took a fair while of me breathing out my backside and nearly dying on the climbs, but slowly my lungs expanded and heart appeared to become more efficient. I'm now fitter than I've been in 20 years. Work is so much easier. 

• Like 9