Yew basin

muttley9050

OK, so what's you're aim then, there must be plenty of man made materials in the van already ?

I suppose potentially you could mill thin Yew boards, T&G them and saturate them with setting oil which would waterproof them, but they'd have to be very good boards not to need defects filled with resin.

I've done the above process with platters and at least 8 years down the line and with normal dishwashing they are now needing recoated.. just for surface finish .

My pet hate is grout so I have for a long time clad any shower I'm working on with 1 piece of vinyl flooring made to measure and glued in place with the only joint being the silicone bead where it meets the shower base and sides.
Did it once with 2 one piece Formica sheets which also worked well.
My aim is to keep the weight down and not use plastic. Wood wouldn't keep the weight down.
There are and some manmade Materials yes and some plastic where necessary. I don't think it's necessary on the shower so I don't buy it. I would much prefer to use recycled or reclaimed materials.
I will probably end up using steel.

My aim is to keep the weight down and not use plastic. Wood wouldn't keep the weight down.
There are and some manmade Materials yes and some plastic where necessary. I don't think it's necessary on the shower so I don't buy it. I would much prefer to use recycled or reclaimed materials.
I will probably end up using steel.

What’s with the hard-on for plastics?

4 hours ago, muttley9050 said:

Yeah I am considering that. Space being a premium though I would prefer something thinner. I did wonder about putting some on some concrete and running a roller over it.
Might try that with a old bit I have and see what happens

Cladco sell (or used to) the plain flat galvanised sheet prior to it having the corrugations added. Plain flat steel this thin is quite tricky to handle though as its so flexible without its corrugations.  

As for the sink presuming you are sealing it well cant see Yew being a problem

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:
9 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:
In what way?

Really

Yes really. 

it seems a rather smug stance to take considering plastic are basically hydrocarbons. 

No to hydrocarbons in the shower, yes to hydrocarbons in your fuel tank to needlessly ponce around the country. Surely you see the hypocrisy here? 

You talk of fitting steel instead of plastic. Have you considered the amount of hydrocarbons required to deliver you a sheet of steel over a sheet of plastic? 

So again, in case I’m far off the mark I’ll ask in what way? 

• Like 1