How to use this old wire fence tensioner? All the gear and no idea!

carbs for arbs

Hi

A while back I picked up an old tensioning tool for stock fencing but haven't had a need to use it...  Until now!  I'll attach a photo.  I can't wrap my head around how to use it, and so far have not been able to find any videos on YouTube using this kind of tool.  

Could anyone who knows please explain, or link me to a description / video?  

Many thanks

IMG_20220330_124958517.thumb.jpg.e0085ec179416bcf218a31433f5a70ff.jpg

You need a chain for the claws to walk along. The two flat hooks cross over with the fence wire between them. This sort of thing.

New & Improved MK2 Model castings - features computer designed geometry. ✓ UK's largest online supplier. ✓...

Edited by Deafhead
Include picture
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, carbs for arbs said:

Hi

A while back I picked up an old tensioning tool for stock fencing but haven't had a need to use it...  Until now!  I'll attach a photo.  I can't wrap my head around how to use it, and so far have not been able to find any videos on YouTube using this kind of tool.  

Could anyone who knows please explain, or link me to a description / video?  

Many thanks

IMG_20220330_124958517.thumb.jpg.e0085ec179416bcf218a31433f5a70ff.jpg

As @Deafhead says the chain that it "walks" on is missing. Also be aware that  the way the wire gets held in the two "S" shaped clamps which interlock with the wire jammed between them means it can get squashed which is not a problem with ordinary barbed or line wire (apart from damaging the galvanising) but can cause a weak spot in higher tensile wires.

PS Strange to see @Deafhead being a junior to my senior member status

Edited by openspaceman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Deafhead said:

You need a chain for the claws to walk along. The two flat hooks cross over with the fence wire between them. This sort of thing.

New & Improved MK2 Model castings - features computer designed geometry. ✓ UK's largest online supplier. ✓...

I could have used one of these last year when I was wrestling with an awkward fence where the Ryloc netting didn't tension very nicely and I'm not happy looking at every day.

I see the a similar tool for sale on ebay for £28, I may have to have it hanging in the shed👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry - totally forgot to come back to this to say thank you for the help and replies.

It was only a small section of fence that needed repairing after a tree had come down onto it.  In the end, the farmer said it did not need to be all that tight, so I just tightened it manually and put the tool away  But I will try to get some chain to use with it for when I have larger fencing jobs to do in the future  

Cheers