Waney edge mirror

Big Beech

I’ve always wanted to try my hand at making one. I now have the timber and a router and bits. And a friend who owns a glass shop.

can someone explain to me please what is the best way to secure the glass in the wood in the back?

and post any you have made, love to see various designs👍

Forgot to add, I recessed the mirror and the backing board into the timber, paper taped it off and added some locking latches.i done it this way so the mirror could be replaced.  I also built a frame on the back for a bit more stability.

I also done it this way because I've seen a few mirrors in craft places where some people just glue or silicone the mirror to it, it's not to my liking messy and lacking .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian Leach said:

I also done it this way because I've seen a few mirrors in craft places where some people just glue or silicone the mirror to it, it's not to my liking messy and lacking .

It's worth mentioning that most silicon sealer will damage the backing of a mirror, so 'neutral cure silicone ' is the only type that can be used, I think the way you did it is the right way... you learn by your mistakes🙄

On 30/03/2022 at 12:39, Jack.P said:

I have got some heavy weight glass in there .held in with some strong glue overlapping on the back ,also sanded the overlap section .took ages and since decided it looks too much like pine and don’t like much anymore!

81C38DA4-5E2E-43AE-AD09-666F12064A0E.jpeg

WOW I love it!!! an absolute perfect piece! Sad you don't you like it anymore :(

30 minutes ago, Shin76 said:

WOW I love it!!! an absolute perfect piece! Sad you don't you like it anymore :(

Thanks .Yes Surprisingly hard to get good corners and grain etc which match up with design but still not quite right .thinking that I might sand the varnish off and might look a better colour  🤔 or just try another one at some point 

I will router a recess for the mirror and use CT1 to fix it in place but then if the timber is thick enough I will use like glazing bars in the back and if its  tall mirror I will put 2 or more going across and some of the truly big a heavy ones will have a backing board .

• 2 weeks later...