Conservation Area Churchyard TPO Tree Inspections

Paul Munds

I live next to a Conservation Area churchyard. All trees within the churchyard are TPO. One particular very large Lime Tree  is located close to the boundary and its branches actually overhang my dwelling (i.e. my house falls within the target zone of the tree). I understand that this tree should therefore be inspected on 'a regular' basis to ensure my safety. I have tried to obtain a copy of recent tree inspections from the church, but so far have only received the following reassurance: 'The inspection was carried out on Friday 4th March in order to assess the structural integrity of the trees following recent storms. The visual ground level inspection of the trees showed no apparent storm damage or evidence of decay. This would indicate that all trees are fundamentally healthy and have suffered no major structural damage from the recent storms.'

I had asked the church warden for a copy of past inspections of the tree and the regularity (yearly, 5 yearly, ten yearly?), but this was never yet answered. I know the tree man used is NPTC trained, but I don't know what level of qualification is required to inspect a tree like mine when I am severely in a target zone. Am I being unreasonable for persisting. I would appreciate any comments  

4 hours ago, Paul Munds said:

I live next to a Conservation Area churchyard. All trees within the churchyard are TPO. One particular very large Lime Tree  is located close to the boundary and its branches actually overhang my dwelling (i.e. my house falls within the target zone of the tree). I understand that this tree should therefore be inspected on 'a regular' basis to ensure my safety. I have tried to obtain a copy of recent tree inspections from the church, but so far have only received the following reassurance: 'The inspection was carried out on Friday 4th March in order to assess the structural integrity of the trees following recent storms. The visual ground level inspection of the trees showed no apparent storm damage or evidence of decay. This would indicate that all trees are fundamentally healthy and have suffered no major structural damage from the recent storms.'

I had asked the church warden for a copy of past inspections of the tree and the regularity (yearly, 5 yearly, ten yearly?), but this was never yet answered. I know the tree man used is NPTC trained, but I don't know what level of qualification is required to inspect a tree like mine when I am severely in a target zone. Am I being unreasonable for persisting. I would appreciate any comments  

It sounds like the church yard is fulfilling their 'duty of care' by having their trees surveyed. There is no reason for them to provide you with a copy of their report. Should the tree fail then your insurers will take it up with theirs. 

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1

You say you’ve ‘spoken’ to church warden. 

Might pay dividends to actually write to the parochial church council. There is still no obligation for them to furnish you with anything - but at least you will have a correspondence trail and will have formalised the request to the suitable organisation entity. 

Of course another option would be for you to commission your own inspection with a suitably qualified inspector - if the tree is in a publicly accessible position there should be no barrier to access. 

Going to cost you a few hundred squid - but having to fund it yourself often defines how much you really want it.... 😂

• Like 1