Bandsaw Milling Required

Mike Chappell

On 29/03/2022 at 09:56, Mike Chappell said:

We have several reclaimed beams to mill. Based in the Midlands but willing to pay all expenses

Good luck with that and expect a cost at £35 per blade when it hits nails. Can be done though just a pain for the miller 

Edited by topchippyles

Once did two reclaimed pine beams for a client with the alaskan. Never again. Averaged about a meter between sharpening chains and used a full chain per beam, it was a ball ache. Full of old nails and gritty too.

If you haven't already, run a metal detector over the beams and remove any metal you find. This may significantly reduce your costs and make the job more appealing to any miller's who may be interested. If they're dirty a quick blast of a power washer helps preserve chains or bands too.

Hope you find someone to do it, some of those old beams look great when reused.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mike Chappell said:

Yes thanks. have a metal detector. These are 250 year old beams so anxious to try to use them

Good luck 

With the right eqpt and prep it can be done. Do some thorough checks with the detector etc and ask about stellite tipped blades, they can take a nail or two and whilst you will definitely blunt them you can often finish a cut. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Good luck 

With the right eqpt and prep it can be done. Do some thorough checks with the detector etc and ask about stellite tipped blades, they can take a nail or two and whilst you will definitely blunt them you can often finish a cut. 

Very doable Dave I did quite a few old beams but always lost a few teeth expecting to loose the blade

31 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Very doable Dave I did quite a few old beams but always lost a few teeth expecting to loose the blade

Id give it a whirl Les no probs, as long as client is aware of what might be in the beams. End  of day a lot of the Elm or Beech I see is often not shy of the odd nail or bit of wire. I was watching a program the other day about the teams  doing the ongoing maintenance on I think, Canterbury cathedral and the lengths they went to in retaining original timbers was incredible. The stonemasons in particular were something else. 

675170C6-EF1F-4678-8033-87C9320BFE4D.jpeg

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 2

I used to cut loads of reclaimed Douglas fir and Pitch pine beams from demolition jobs around Bolton, 250+ year old with a dozen coats of paint over nails with no real issues.
Get a decent metal detector and slide hammer and prep the beams thoroughly first.

• Like 1