Small bandsaw mill on ifor williams

william127

5 hours ago, doobin said:

When you see what people charge for a day's milling, it seems a good return for not a lot of investment. I have a lot of customers who have had me leave stuff to be milled, but they haven't found anyone to mill it yet!

I reckon it would work well with the multiOne. Arrive at site, unload loader, load mill from truck onto trailer and tow into field with the multione, carrying your spares and tools in the bucket.

Interesting. Pretty much just drop on and go you say?

Along comes Doob making us jealous of the multione!🙃

Multione etc would make life so easy 👌

Yup I just fork the bed on and then lower the head unit on and away you go.

I move the head to over the axles and lock in place between the bunks. Tows great.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, william127 said:

I'll have a look at the frontier mill👍  

I noticed you just had it straight on the ifor, no issues with the mill vibrating or timber/cut bowing ? 

I agree about the height, I've taken the trailer on woodworking jobs in the past just to use as a massive work bench👍

I've got a small electric winch on a receiver hitch on my chipper, I could make similar on the mill/trailer, no need to buy a second winch👍

I have heard it can become addictive😄

Not much vibrating with 300kg of oak on there! Surprised how smooth or is tbf.

Yup little electric winch is perfect .I'm using my big 6t recovery one on a plate but it's a bit heavy. A 1t be fine.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stihllymok said:

Not much vibrating with 300kg of oak on there! Surprised how smooth or is tbf.

Yup little electric winch is perfect .I'm using my big 6t recovery one on a plate but it's a bit heavy. A 1t be fine.

How do you find the frontier mill itself? the fact that you are using it directly on the ifor trouble free, and forking it on and off sound positive.  how much assembely did you have to do when you got it?

Are you using the fronteir blades or aftermarket ones?

cheers 

1 hour ago, doobin said:

Anyone got any thoughts upon the Crytec version? Seems a similar spec for quite a bit less money,

https://crytec-power.co.uk/products/crytec-sawmill

There are several mills which look like the come out of the same factory with a few tweaks here and there. The other one is Rima

I went with Woodland Mills because there should be decent backup 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well as I have posted on another thread,I have ordered the fronteir OS31, spares, extension and winch/ramps.

I still plan to mount it on an rsj frame but now  I want to store it/transport it on its own trailer. I'll them park that sat level so that so if I want to just mill the odd log I can. Or I can obviously tow it to the wood pile or jobs.

I got very lucky and was able to collect this today- its my old triple axle, 14x6 that I sold to a local scout group for a couple of hundred quid a few years ago.

I asked their leader if I could buy it back as its just been sat for 5 years in their field. They said I could just take it👌👌

I've stripped the all the rotten wood off and given the chassis a good pressure wash. It's remarkably solid given that it's at least 30 years old, needs 1 bracket welding in in the back left corner and that's it. It really is quite impressive and there's a hell of a lot of steel in the frame! Obviously it's going to need some money spending on it, tyres, brakes etc but even if it costs me £750ish I'm still well ahead of if I'd bought a complete unknown at auction etc.

I measured where the mill will stick out to and screwed a piece of timber out that far to see if I can make the turn into my field- I can, but it's tight!   

As to be expected it needs rewiring so I was able to test my wireless trailer lights, they seem OK for the cost👍 I plan to rewire it and fit new lights. I'll also put a female 7 pin socket on the back so I can put wireless lights/a light board on the back of the mill itself(although legally as its under 3 meters of overhang- 2.1m- I only need a 'marker', I'd rather give the back of my mill proper road lights).

A good piece of the puzzle to have in place👌👌

20220418_133640.jpg

20220418_133642.jpg

20220418_151100.jpg

20220418_151250.jpg

FB_IMG_1650291699404.jpg

20220418_162445.jpg

received_712852990151808.jpeg

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, william127 said:

Well as I have posted on another thread,I have ordered the fronteir OS31, spares, extension and winch/ramps.

I still plan to mount it on an rsj frame but now  I want to store it/transport it on its own trailer. I'll them park that sat level so that so if I want to just mill the odd log I can. Or I can obviously tow it to the wood pile or jobs.

I got very lucky and was able to collect this today- its my old triple axle, 14x6 that I sold to a local scout group for a couple of hundred quid a few years ago.

I asked their leader if I could buy it back as its just been sat for 5 years in their field. They said I could just take it👌👌

I've stripped the all the rotten wood off and given the chassis a good pressure wash. It's remarkably solid given that it's at least 30 years old, needs 1 bracket welding in in the back left corner and that's it. It really is quite impressive and there's a hell of a lot of steel in the frame! Obviously it's going to need some money spending on it, tyres, brakes etc but even if it costs me £750ish I'm still well ahead of if I'd bought a complete unknown at auction etc.

I measured where the mill will stick out to and screwed a piece of timber out that far to see if I can make the turn into my field- I can, but it's tight!   

As to be expected it needs rewiring so I was able to test my wireless trailer lights, they seem OK for the cost👍 I plan to rewire it and fit new lights. I'll also put a female 7 pin socket on the back so I can put wireless lights/a light board on the back of the mill itself(although legally as its under 3 meters of overhang- 2.1m- I only need a 'marker', I'd rather give the back of my mill proper road lights).

A good piece of the puzzle to have in place👌👌

20220418_133640.jpg

20220418_133642.jpg

20220418_151100.jpg

20220418_151250.jpg

FB_IMG_1650291699404.jpg

20220418_162445.jpg

received_712852990151808.jpeg

Triple wheels makes it nice and stable. Weld some jacks on there so you can adjust to correct level job done.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

@william127

Your wireless trailer lights sound interesting, never heard of them before. What do you have?

These are the ones I have, I paid 65 for them at a machinery show. Today was actually the first time I've used them, very simple to use- turn them on, stick them on and plug in the transmitter to the trailer socket. I often tow long distances very early in the morning or late at night with a variety of trailers, so they seemed like a sensible thing to have in the truck!

Screenshot_20220418-213931_eBay.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, william127 said:

These are the ones I have, I paid 65 for them at a machinery show. Today was actually the first time I've used them, very simple to use- turn them on, stick them on and plug in the transmitter to the trailer socket. I often tow long distances very early in the morning or late at night with a variety of trailers, so they seemed like a sensible thing to have in the truck!

Screenshot_20220418-213931_eBay.jpg

Thanks for that. It's almost a daily occurrence that someone tears the cable apart on the chipper lightboards, these are just what we need.

• Like 1