Cover logs or leave to elements

So many variables but mainly climate.

I read of many people leaving crates of logs open to the elements for most of the drying period. I tried it one year but they all went mouldy. Now I am sure this works for many but I live in very wet area where we had 1850mm of rain last year yet some parts of the country get less than a third of that amount. For us covering is esential for most of the year with the exception of spring which in recent years has been our driest season by some margin. 

• Like 1

I'm in East Anglia never cover the logs for seasoning, just put enough in the woodshed to keep dry as I'm using through winter. They season perfectly well outside but do get coloured, so if you want tip top product to sell then covering is probably better.

Danger of covering is of course holding moisture in so ideally some air space above the logs to let the wind blow through.

Maybe as you've Welsh in your username you should be covering with something.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Vented bags are brilliant for drying logs. Builders bags on the other hand are not.

I mean compared to crates, even on vented ones they're too fine to let wind through like an ibc or box. 

I think there would be a market for 1inch mesh bags.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, gdh said:

I mean compared to crates, even on vented ones they're too fine to let wind through like an ibc or box. 

I think there would be a market for 1inch mesh bags.

I find they dry very well. As well as just stacked, but they are in a windy location. 

Im going down the road of IBC’s now mainly due to ease of stacking and easier to move around. I guess I’ll see if the drying time speeds up. Would be magic if it did.