The Green Agenda

Billhook

Let's look at this from another angle and forget any green agenda for a moment.

Fossil fuels are finite. When they are gone they are gone. Oil is an amazing resource that we make loads of things from so let's not burn it when we dont need to. We have near limitless renewables available to us in sun, wind, tidal etc so let's use them where we can and save the oil for the things we really need it for. 
WWW.RANKEN-ENERGY.COM  
Yet another angle is that we make loads of not so useful things from oil. They quickly break or become obsolete and then end up being burnt anyway, or dumped in the ground or sea to pollute the environment for countless generations to come. (Or in our case, in the UK; we pay other countries like China to make the crap. So we can then say "it's not us governor")
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Richard 1234 said:

Who is it the right thing to do for? Not us that’s a fact. Not unless we build 25 big nuclear reactors. Yes we can have wind and solar but nuclear has the advantage that it always works.

to add to that why don’t we build massive solar plants on say the Sahara?

it would conceivably power Africa Europe the world? I’ve no idea how much power it would create never mind all the employment and money going into Africa to build and sell the energy 

ELECTREK.CO

A 10.5 GW solar and wind farm is going to be built in Morocco, and it's eventually going to power 7 million homes in the UK.

The cable is coming onshore at Bude in North Devon ( I think it is already there but not sure )   or why do big businesses not locate energy heavy industries  to places like Morocco where solar power could be used then send to Europe on battery powered boats etc ??

Edited by devon TWiG
  • Like 2

Guelmim-Oued-Noun-Morocco.jpg?resize=1200%2C628&quality=82&strip=all&ssl=1 ELECTREK.CO
A 10.5 GW solar and wind farm is going to be built in Morocco, and it's eventually going to power 7 million homes in the UK. The cable is coming onshore at Bude in North Devon ( I think it is already there but not sure )   or why do big businesses not locate energy heavy industries  to places like Morocco where solar power could be used then send to Europe on battery powered boats etc ??
Great ideas, both. Morocco and similar countries would do well to promote themselves on that front.

It's a point aside, but having calculated the heating needs of our house in the UK and the one we're moving to in Sweden, our Swedish house uses 8 times less energy to heat it, per square metre. Extrapolating from the bills we've had so far, we'll be using about 7,000 KWH to heat 240 square metres in Sweden, whereas our normal annual usage of firewood here of 28 cubic metres to heat 94 square metres equates to 28,000KWH (or 21,000KWH accounting for 75% efficiency of the stove). 

So that's 29kwh/sqm in Sweden where the average night time temperature for the last 4 months has been about minus 6-7 and 298kwh/sqm here in the UK (or 223kwh, accounting for stove efficiency) where the average night time temperature has been 4.4c over the same period.

Our house in Sweden is a totally normal 1957 built house with geothermal heating. Our house here is a totally normal little farmhouse, built in two stages in 1860 and 1930. 

I think that this is illustrative of the biggest issue we have in the UK. Our buildings are so thermally inefficient that we might as well be leaving the windows open. It's like driving a car with a hole in the fuel tank. 

50 years of north sea oil means 50 years of becoming accustomed to cheap heat and not having to think about insulation. Norway treated their oil and gas bonanza very differently.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Big J said:

It's a point aside, but having calculated the heating needs of our house in the UK and the one we're moving to in Sweden, our Swedish house uses 8 times less energy to heat it, per square metre. Extrapolating from the bills we've had so far, we'll be using about 7,000 KWH to heat 240 square metres in Sweden, whereas our normal annual usage of firewood here of 28 cubic metres to heat 94 square metres equates to 28,000KWH (or 21,000KWH accounting for 75% efficiency of the stove). 

So that's 29kwh/sqm in Sweden where the average night time temperature for the last 4 months has been about minus 6-7 and 298kwh/sqm here in the UK (or 223kwh, accounting for stove efficiency) where the average night time temperature has been 4.4c over the same period.

Our house in Sweden is a totally normal 1957 built house with geothermal heating. Our house here is a totally normal little farmhouse, built in two stages in 1860 and 1930. 

I think that this is illustrative of the biggest issue we have in the UK. Our buildings are so thermally inefficient that we might as well be leaving the windows open. It's like driving a car with a hole in the fuel tank. 

50 years of north sea oil means 50 years of becoming accustomed to cheap heat and not having to think about insulation. Norway treated their oil and gas bonanza very differently.

That’s really good no doubt. We could certainly do better with our housing stock.

we don’t however have geothermal here at least not in the same sense they do up there.(though I could be wrong on that! Geothermal makes me think of hot springs in Iceland and the like) so if it as I’m imagining then your bill will be less as the water is hot/warm to begin with?

they learnt the lessons long ago out of need more than anything else I suppose

2 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

That’s really good no doubt. We could certainly do better with our housing stock.

we don’t however have geothermal here at least not in the same sense they do up there.(though I could be wrong on that! Geothermal makes me think of hot springs in Iceland and the like) so if it as I’m imagining then your bill will be less as the water is hot/warm to begin with?

they learnt the lessons long ago out of need more than anything else I suppose

I may be confusing the issue with my terminology. It's a deep borehole, ground sourced heat pump. 170m down. The COP is 4, so for every 1kw of electricity fed into the system, you get 4 kw of heat out.

I've been down a solar panels rabbit hole this morning, pricing them for our house and we're hoping to have them installed this summer. So I then went onto a UK comparison site to check electricity prices and was staggered at how much they've increased. 28.5p/kw night rate and 43.4p/kwh day! We don't use a lot, but that equates to £2200/year. Then add on heating, which if we heated with oil would be £3k a year. 

That's £100/week to heat and power 94 square metres in a mild climate. That compares to an expected £45/week to heat and power 240 square metres in Sweden, but can bring that to below zero (as in, we make money) if we install solar.

On 27/03/2022 at 08:43, Mike Hill said:

Yes its pathetic how the green movement changes its ideology on a whim. Over here now that we have a grumpy Russia over the border the government suggests every household has at least one fossil fuel vehicle incase Russia takes down the power grid.

Six months ago they were looking forward to banning fossil fueled cars by 2030.

They even mandated lead free bullets for the Army. Shame they didnt work but hey at least they wernt polluting.

I recently helped out one of the Norwegian crane ops on a vessel I was on to source some Barnes copper bullet heads here in the UK  for reloading as like you say due to recent legislation etc banning lead non lead reloading components have become virtually impossible to get. Needless to say he didn’t have a high opinion of the government department responsible.