The Green Agenda

Billhook

54 minutes ago, scbk said:

China needs all those coal power stations as they make so much cheap tat for us!

Thinking of the shops in Inverness like b&m bargains, the range, poundstretcher, home bargains, poundland, non-food aisles at Tesco etc etc, they all might aswell have a Chinese flag hanging above the door as virtually everything they sell is cheap rubbish made in China, destined for landfill as it will break or people get bored of it and chuck it in the bin.

Also on the subject, which country in the world makes the most solar panels, bicycles, electric bikes, electric mopeds, (probably electric cars too), etc, and has some huge solar power plants?

Interesting video that shows how far behind the game our glorious leaders are, they've been waffling about tidal energy all my adult life, probably the only thing wrong with it is that it would work..

As far as rubbish products coming out of China to our shops, the market for crap is only there due to the general stupidity of our LCD numpty population, they do make good stuff but it's just that our society seems to like buying rubbish... it sits very well along beside their IQ.

The Chinese have a rover on the far side of the moon as I'm sure you know, so they are a very capable nation just taking advantage of what would seem like our deliberately run down and uncompetitive in any way Great.. my feckin arse Britain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This guy has got the right idea. It's all about efficiency.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

One of the leading advocates of energy conservation explains why this could be a turning point for climate economics
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Apparently China has 1000 coal fired power stations with another 250 in construction with a new one coming online nearly every week.

I've often wondered how many power stations = 1 small volcano in terms of pollution ?

A mate worked in china a good 15-20 years ago.

At 1 point he was at a big industrial docks throu work and seen them literally dumping ship loads of coal into the sea.

He asked wot the hell was going on and they said the price of coal was so cheap they were buying as much as they could and it would be relatively easy to dredge up from the ocean floor when it was needed.

Mentasl but at the same time sort of clever.

While i think we go overboard with the green rules and regulations i'm so glad we do have some, would hate to see some of the areas around industrial sites in china

• Like 1

There's a balance point somewhere between industrial revolution level polluting and complete cessation of industry and economy. Seems like our governments are aiming for the latter. Not by forbidding it, but by loading expenses and regulations on the producer sector to the point it becomes financially unsustainable.

On 27/03/2022 at 08:23, Billhook said:

I feel that we need to revisit this subject.  One phrase I dislike is "The science is settled"  The science should never be settled but always be able to answer questions when theories do not seem to materialise as predicted.  Just to question any climate science labels you a denier in the same way as you might question the existence of particular God.

I believe that the Earth is warming, but I am unsure of the cause and amount.  A lot of the scare predictions do not seem to have happened.  (Al Gore predicted ice free Arctic by 2013)

I believe that we should all try and limit our use of polluting fuels and limited resources, breathe clean air and protect life on the planet.

But there does not seem to be a proper cost /benefit analysis of the move to green energy.  For instance what is the energy and CO2 emission of one  Euro fighter takeoff and practice mission compared to a family car.  It would not surprise me to hear that the fuel used would keep a family car going for a year, five years even ten years and the CO2 who knows.  Then look at the energy cost of a full naval exercise with the Prince of Wales and Queen Elizabeth carriers and their fleet and aircraft.  

Then look at the pollution and energy and CO2 of every bomb and rocket in Ukraine and maybe all our efforts to put in heat pumps, insulate homes, drive electric cars cut out fossil fuels is just pissing in the wind and virtue signalling whilst giving the Chinese all the economic advantage  building new coal fired power stations at will.

Are we just in the process of a modern self flagellation?

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

A good summary of the present green bollocks.

A friend has just travelled through Dubai where a litre of petrol can be had for the equivalent of 10 pence.

Europe's shitting itself over the implications of being fuel dependent on Russia, has little in the way of alternatives in place so if push comes to shove will undoubtably rewrite its Green agendas to suit. As you suggested, I can't see any of the most polluting superpowers (or one's that aspire to be) giving two shits over green legislation that we restrict our output over.

Marine diesel is not only the worst pollutant, but these engines are absolutely enormous too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Baldbloke said:

A good summary of the present green bollocks.

A friend has just travelled through Dubai where a litre of petrol can be had for the equivalent of 10 pence.

Europe's shitting itself over the implications of being fuel dependent on Russia, has little in the way of alternatives in place so if push comes to shove will undoubtably rewrite its Green agendas to suit. As you suggested, I can't see any of the most polluting superpowers (or one's that aspire to be) giving two shits over green legislation that we restrict our output over.

Marine diesel is not only the worst pollutant, but these engines are absolutely enormous too.

Yet container shipping is overall an incredibly efficient way to move vast quantities of goods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doobin said:

Yet container shipping is overall an incredibly efficient way to move vast quantities of goods.

Yes it is I do however wonder why the ships can’t have sails to use the wind to help use less fuel.

probably to do with the dock cranes as much as anything else?

Yes it is I do however wonder why the ships can’t have sails to use the wind to help use less fuel.
probably to do with the dock cranes as much as anything else?
I believe plans are afoot to mount sails on some cargo ships to help reduce fuel consumption. I saw an article about it somewhere.
  • Like 1