The Green Agenda

Billhook

Just now, openspaceman said:

I thought a mixture of chimney scrubbers on power plants from the early nineties and low sulphur fuels effectively stopped it by 2010.

Well, its amazing to see what a minute percentage of the worlds polluters has on the world stage. Who'd have thought that the countries that contribute over 70% of the worlds pollution can continue doing what they're doing and we'll fix everything in the West through tax.  

• Like 4

The green technology initiative is one of efficiency for me. 

I don't believe that I can individually make much of a difference, but if my house has a 15kw solar array on it's roof, heat pump heating (both ground and air source) and we have a couple of electric vehicles, we're pretty much self sufficient in terms of energy use. Work lorry and forestry machine excepted. This is our plan for the next few years once we've moved to Sweden.

Transporting energy (in any form) any distance is wasteful. Given that payback periods of solar are now so short, it makes perfect sense to install. Combine that with increased insulation and heat pumps and you'll laugh in the face of increases in the energy price cap :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

I don’t understand why all new buildings aren’t stipulated to have solar arrays as roof structures.

We clear sites for warehouse construction - these buildings cover acres of ground. Why can’t it be a planning condition that they must be built oriented to optimise rooftop solar? It’s the same with new farm buildings etc. 
There are plenty of little steps that could be taken/forced upon us that I feel could/should be implemented - I certainly don’t feel that ‘the green agenda’ as it stands is anything other than smoke-and-mirrors woke bullshit that does nothing to address any perceived issues (it simply moves the problems elsewhere). 

I think it's funny that "solar farms" are built, cover acres and acres of good farmland in solar panels, yet there's huge warehouse roofs that could have solar panels fitted.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

Apparently China has 1000 coal fired power stations with another 250 in construction with a new one coming online nearly every week.

I've often wondered how many power stations = 1 small volcano in terms of pollution ?

China needs all those coal power stations as they make so much cheap tat for us!

Thinking of the shops in Inverness like b&m bargains, the range, poundstretcher, home bargains, poundland, non-food aisles at Tesco etc etc, they all might aswell have a Chinese flag hanging above the door as virtually everything they sell is cheap rubbish made in China, destined for landfill as it will break or people get bored of it and chuck it in the bin.

Also on the subject, which country in the world makes the most solar panels, bicycles, electric bikes, electric mopeds, (probably electric cars too), etc, and has some huge solar power plants?

• Like 2