The Green Agenda

Billhook

I feel that we need to revisit this subject.  One phrase I dislike is "The science is settled"  The science should never be settled but always be able to answer questions when theories do not seem to materialise as predicted.  Just to question any climate science labels you a denier in the same way as you might question the existence of particular God.

I believe that the Earth is warming, but I am unsure of the cause and amount.  A lot of the scare predictions do not seem to have happened.  (Al Gore predicted ice free Arctic by 2013)

I believe that we should all try and limit our use of polluting fuels and limited resources, breathe clean air and protect life on the planet.

But there does not seem to be a proper cost /benefit analysis of the move to green energy.  For instance what is the energy and CO2 emission of one  Euro fighter takeoff and practice mission compared to a family car.  It would not surprise me to hear that the fuel used would keep a family car going for a year, five years even ten years and the CO2 who knows.  Then look at the energy cost of a full naval exercise with the Prince of Wales and Queen Elizabeth carriers and their fleet and aircraft.  

Then look at the pollution and energy and CO2 of every bomb and rocket in Ukraine and maybe all our efforts to put in heat pumps, insulate homes, drive electric cars cut out fossil fuels is just pissing in the wind and virtue signalling whilst giving the Chinese all the economic advantage  building new coal fired power stations at will.

Are we just in the process of a modern self flagellation?

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Yes its pathetic how the green movement changes its ideology on a whim. Over here now that we have a grumpy Russia over the border the government suggests every household has at least one fossil fuel vehicle incase Russia takes down the power grid.

Six months ago they were looking forward to banning fossil fueled cars by 2030.

They even mandated lead free bullets for the Army. Shame they didnt work but hey at least they wernt polluting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

Yes its pathetic how the green movement changes its ideology on a whim. Over here now that we have a grumpy Russia over the border the government suggests every household has at least one fossil fuel vehicle incase Russia takes down the power grid.

Six months ago they were looking forward to banning fossil fueled cars by 2030.

They even mandated lead free bullets for the Army. Shame they didnt work but hey at least they wernt polluting.

Ya couldnay mak it up iffen ye tried!

N.B.

Oops, I just went and read your OP Billhook, absolutely truthful, insightful and merits a serious discussion.

But AINT GONNA HAPPEN!

Thank you,

Marcus

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

You’d struggle to find a greater example of human contradiction. 

All as we’ve done is export the manufacturing footprint (and the end of life waste implications) overseas and told ourselves we’ve reduced our carbon footprint. 

I favour the example I have in mide of the madman Mayor Khan’t.... (take that which ever way you think best suits)

Punitive and crushing penalties for vehicular use within central London.....

Yet presents massive, naught but recreational NYE fireworks display as a cause celeb......

Contradiction......  Struggle to find a bigger. 

• Like 8

Some nice whaterboutry  & aren't green energy sources often as cheap or cheaper than fossil now?

On shore wind etc

Do agree that alot of green is just green-wash and marketing bullshit though, to maintain the illusion that  modern commerism etc can still be green.

Think climate change is just one aspect and maybe not the worst one of exceeding "plantery boundaries"... mass extinctions pollution etc..... soil loss

File:Planetary Boundaries.png - Wikimedia Commons

Things are beingf f**ked up that took nature/life eons to develop and there won't be any easy way to fix them?

Edited by Stere
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Have you seen this 

Reminds me of COP 26 where they wheeled out loads of electric cars for delegates but not near enough charging points. There's a photo of all the diesel generators lined up to keep the green cars powered up!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stere said:

Things are beingf f**ked up that took nature/life eons to develop and there won't be any easy way to fix them?

I don’t think anyone that cares to think about it would disagree fundamentally with your statement. 

The question though is -  is the ‘pain’ of the current ‘measures’ worth the effort or is it all just smoke and mirrors?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

CA341479-0CAF-46E6-89D1-92A4CC9D3F3E.png

Thats pretty misleading at least for here in the UK. Coal generates just 3.4% of our energy according to government figures for 2020 https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1032260/UK_Energy_in_Brief_2021.pdf

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 2