Quality of unleaded going down

Jack.P

15 hours ago, Pete Mctree said:

I would love to use alkylate fuel, but it fecks up old saws faster than prince andrew does a 16 year old !

Its not the alkylate fuel rodgering the saws . Its the alkylate fuel showing up what the pump fuel has been doing . Run a new saw on alkylate from the get go and there wont be a problem .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Jack.P said:

Noticed today with a new batch of petrol with correct 2T mix it didn’t run very well in any of the tools and one saw which would run fine hardly started at all .also it didn’t seem to last as long before running out again .Seems like the prices go up and the quality goes down ..I’m sure a few years ago the quality of petrol was much better 

Just sounds like a bad batch of fuel. It does happen. Local Morrisons had some a couple of years back and loads of folk had trouble.

Cant say I have noticed any change in fuel over the years. Regular, E5, E10 not had any 2 or 4 strokes miss a beat on any of it. I always buy from Texaco and it gets used quickly which I sure helps. Also quality oil for the 2 strokes 

• Like 1

I think woodworks sums it up perfectly above, buy decent fuel, i almost never buy supermarket fuel and never run saws on it and mix in good quality 2 stroke.

I do get a lot of problems with my quad and water in fuel, but just not using it enough so petrol sitting in it too long, not getting it serviced enough and no fuel stabiliser in fuel either and that was before the E10 change

A lot of machines that I see for repair or service have water in the fuel. I always empty the fuel tank into a clear measuring jug and in the past you would usually see any water present sitting at the bottom like an air bubble. These days the fuel is usually cloudy, milky looking but if you leave it to settle you can see the fuel clear up and the water settle to the bottom. 

It's definitely worth cleaning your fuel tank out in your machines and don't forget to check your fuel cans. I'll post some pics up this week if I get the chance.

• Like 4

Is there anything u can do to prevent the water in tanks?? Esp when filling from a jerry can.

As i said my quad is terrible for it nowadays, but even in the past when doing 30-50km a day the honda mechanics always said it had a bit in the tank.

I have put some water treatment stuff in again which does seem to help

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2022 at 10:08, drinksloe said:

Is there anything u can do to prevent the water in tanks?? Esp when filling from a jerry can.

As i said my quad is terrible for it nowadays, but even in the past when doing 30-50km a day the honda mechanics always said it had a bit in the tank.

I have put some water treatment stuff in again which does seem to help

You'd be amazed at what has water in it. I recently removed thousands of litres of red diesel and the first 200 litres were a mix of red diesel and water. 

Petrol is lighter than water so if you had a hand cawed siphon and a thin bit of hose you can suck the water out of it if it's a problem.