Isuzu Grafter 35 125

Dominic Bailey

I’m looking for a brand new purpose build arb truck and want to ask if anyone has experience using the Isuzu 35 125? Just wondering what it’s like towing and carrying weight being a 1.9 engine. 
I’d naturally steer toward a bigger engine but the dealer recons it’s almost comparable to the 35 150 yet more efficient. Being in Sheffield we have a fair few hills and I’m concerned the little engine won’t have the grunt although the available torque is over 300nm.
I’ve looked into Fuso Canters but the waiting list is pretty long although I’ve heard very good things about it. Any knowledge is welcomed.

Thanks,

Dom 

I guess a lot will depend on what you are used to. What's your current truck and chipper set up?

My opinion of the grafter 125 is a very good one based on towing my little 675kg chipper. I wouldn't entertain the idea if I ran a big chipper over 2000kg eveyday.

Definitely worth a test drive as the driving position and gear ratios don't suit everyone.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Barney said:

I guess a lot will depend on what you are used to. What's your current truck and chipper set up?

My opinion of the grafter 125 is a very good one based on towing my little 675kg chipper. I wouldn't entertain the idea if I ran a big chipper over 2000kg eveyday.

Definitely worth a test drive as the driving position and gear ratios don't suit everyone.

Thanks for the info Barney. I’ve had an old cabstar for many years, it’s pretty tired now. I currently run a Timberwolf trailed 230. I should imagine the driving position and gear box are much the same? 
I’m also looking at the Fuso canter which looks decent with a larger engine. Test driving locally seems to be a problem due to stock, hopefully I’ll manage to soon.

thanks

• Like 1

@Dominic Bailey

Ah well if you own a cabstar now you will be familiar.

I used to have a 2004 cabstar and the main difference I have noticed is how quiet the drive is, great all round vision with large mirrors and better storage behind the drivers seat and overhead storage.

The fully adjustable drivers suspension seat makes the ride more pleasant.

I considered the fuso too but when I was getting quotes it was nearly 5k dearer, but a lovely truck if you can afford it.

I heard the the Isuzu is built as a 5 ton truck but down plated to 3.5 ton. 

Even if your are overloaded by law your truck isn't. 

Fuso are good but a lot wider then the cabstar. 

The older ones were as I understand it build on the 5 ton chassis. I used to drive a 63 plate one and that was a ‘wide cab model’ which was repeatedly built on the same chassis as a 5 ton cab. I’m not sure about the newer ones as they seem a lot lot smaller overall.

When I parked the 63 plate next to a 7.5t there wasn’t much in it, the plus points were that it pulled like a train and looked like a bigger truck. So much so that VOSA didn’t take an interest in it as it always carried the weight well. The N35 stickers were removed when it was sign written and even when I dropped it into Isuzu for serving they always questioned what weight it was. However it weighed 3300kg empty so was potentially overloaded with 2 guys and some cones in the box!

• 3 weeks later...