Need a new corded mower, all naff?

clv101

My mower's died! Half an hour in, the magic smoke came out.  [edit to add, I can buy a replacement motor... only £140.99!! YouTube videos shows replacement straight forward. I'd be tempted at half that price, but way too much.]

I used to have an corded Makita mower 1600W induction, 41cm, steel deck, this one: https://lawnmowerwizard.com/electricmowers/makita-elm4110x-electric-lawn-mower-review/. It was great, a little heavy but a tough little thing, did the job.

I have around 200m2 of 'nice' lawn around the house from which a usually collect the grass and around 1000m2 of rougher lawn with fruit trees where I never collect the grass and only mow half as often. A battery mower's not going to cut it, and after years of using petrol mowers I'm not keen to go back there. So - what's the best corded mower? No really constrained on budget - looking for reliability and power mainly.

Considering:

Cobra MX46SPE 1800W (self drive, 34kg! 2 yr warranty)

Bosch Lawnmower AdvancedRotak 750 1700W (16kg, 3 yr warranty)

Makita ELM4621X 1800W (self drive, 32.2kg! 3yr warranty)
Aldi Ferrex 1800W Electric (less than half the price! 16.6kg, 3yr warranty)

Anyone used them?

(I've also used the tiny Bosch Rotak 32R, 1200, 31cm and it's rubbish!)

Edited by clv101

Agree, why a corded for such a lawn, sounds abit of a crazy idea and would be a pain to use with trees. Only benefit is cheap to run

Makitas do one though for 1000m2 its even self propelled.

EDIT just seen you listed this one already 🙂

Just googled  the husky robot ones, priced at, from £700 to 4K, and the £700 only does 600m2 so you would need  2....

Edited by Stere

Hadn't really considered the price! 

I occasionally mow a lawn for lady. she has an ego battery mower and about 800 sq mtrs of lawn.  It cuts it when it's barely clipping the tips on a single charge. Anything more than that and I get the call because it baulks at any volume of grass. Bear in mind this mower must be 5 or 6 years old and tech has come on a bit. I'd say there's a battery mower out there that would do the job now. 

I had a Bosch Rotak 37 for about 14 years until it died last year.

I have a bigger lawn since moving house and wanted to upgrade to the biggest Bosch corded electric mower, but then read the reviews and it didn’t seem to be well rated for longevity.

I bought a B&Q / Screwfix own brand hobby - seems alright, not as well built as the previous Bosch but okay up to now.

The model I bought is no longer available but the current Titan one might be worth a look, for the price?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb833lwm-1700w-37cm-electric-lawn-mower-230v/804pt

1 hour ago, Stere said:

Agree, why a corded for such a lawn, sounds abit of a crazy idea and would be a pain to use with trees. Only benefit is cheap to run

Makitas do one though for 1000m2 its even self propelled.

EDIT just seen you listed this one already 🙂

Just googled  the husky robot ones, priced at, from £700 to 4K, and the £700 only does 600m2 so you would need  2....

I think the robot ones make sense if you're alternative is paying someone to drive the mower.

2 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Robot mowers are a no brainier for larger gardens, unless you’re weird and actually enjoy the chore of cutting the grass on your day off 

Those robot mowers are a work of genius, razor sharp blades cutting only  millimeters off the tips, with no arisings to be seen, and it does not matter if the grass is wet.

Simply genius.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 3