Fruitwatch

Mark J

Im sure the daffs come out earlier not actually kept a record though ....

Odd thing is some daffs now coming out before the snowdrops?

The shift to early flowering in the UK is greater for smaller plants than trees and shrubs, and is related to warming...

Edited by Stere

56 minutes ago, Stere said:

The shift to early flowering in the UK is greater for smaller plants than trees and shrubs, and is related to warming...

For the past dozen or so years I've made a habit of planting a few bags of daffodil bulbs every autumn and they are indeed now mostly in bloom.

However, elsewhere on the farm there are a few clumps of daffodils which have been there since I bought the place almost thirty years ago and given that the place was pretty run down when I took it over I imagine they date back much longer.

They're nowhere near flowering yet so there seems to be a difference between old and new.

Might have something to do with it?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Stere said:

My better half records stuff like this around our own garden.

She just informed me that our first daffs were three days later this year than last even though we had colder temps the same week last year. Our snowdrops almost two weeks earlier this year. Primulas later, buds forming on lilac for longer, gorse blossomed earlier, the chickens went off their eggs a few weeks earlier but came back sooner and the garden would look altogether better if I got off my hole and went out there instead of spending all my time working in everyone else's. I definitely sense some localised climate change, better grab the spade! Tulips are looking a bit later too.

• Like 2

For the past dozen or so years I've made a habit of planting a few bags of daffodil bulbs every autumn and they are indeed now mostly in bloom.

However, elsewhere on the farm there are a few clumps of daffodils which have been there since I bought the place almost thirty years ago and given that the place was pretty run down when I took it over I imagine they date back much longer.

They're nowhere near flowering yet so there seems to be a difference between old and new.

Might have something to do with it?

Flowering time is also dependent on what the varieties are....

Planning to buy bulbs? Take a look at our favorite daffodils for each stage of spring.

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1