TS 431z wood chipper

Conor Wright

It chips brilliantly, I haven't used it back to back against a truly similar machine but it chips just as well if not better than all the other machines I've used. Anyone else that's used it with me have been impressed as well. 

The main thing is it has the weight that means there's steel where its needed- TW proudly do 6 inch chippers that weigh less than 750kg (quite impressive and for the obvious towing reason, although that's out of date now), this is a 7 inch that weighs nearly 1500kg!! 

Still not directly useful to your pto machine but shows how they build stuff 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, TS or branded as QuikChip, in the 80's and 90's were those "go too" brands. Sold then by Fletcher Stewart and now by PSD at Colne. Stewart Mercer of PSD did tell me that what with TW, GreenMech  and those others, TS was lost in the rush, but they would still sell spares etc. The pto turntable things were good when mated to the right tractor. Solid and well built....

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

Good to know. Which model do you have? From the pictures I've seen of it it looks fairly well used but not abused, then again there's no comparison to seeing it in person. Think I'll chance a trip up the road to see it.

Make sure you are fully prepared to walk away if you don’t like it.

When you go a long way it’s easy just to buy it just because otherwise you’ve wasted a day!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Make sure you are fully prepared to walk away if you don’t like it.

When you go a long way it’s easy just to buy it just because otherwise you’ve wasted a day!

Good advice. It has happened to me before and I was proper thick on the way home. More so at myself for thinking an almost "too good to be true" deal was genuine.

To be fair I'm not expecting an "as new" machine. It's a bit over 3 hours away so pretty much the day gone either way but I'll enjoy the drive if nothing else, you know, bring some meth, hit a few pubs, stop off at a whorehouse the usual road trip stuff! 

• Haha 2

I journeyed from here (north of Bordeaux) to Durham to pick up a Land Rover tipper I had put a deposit on.

As soon as we turned the corner and I saw it a little voice in my head said ‘don’t buy it, it looks knackered and the blokes a shyster’

But I’d come this far…..

Cue 5 years of misery.

That was a hell of a trek to turn back from. Understandable you went through with it. That gut feeling on first sight is usually right.

The clue to misery should have been there in the ad in fairness, presuming it said something like secondhand land rover for sale!

I had a 110 myself and I loved it for the first 15 mins, then it dawned on me that they were not built for my 6 ft 4 frame or motorways. Never again! Worst vehicle I ever owned and I've had a few poor motors over the years I will admit.

6 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I journeyed from here (north of Bordeaux) to Durham to pick up a Land Rover tipper I had put a deposit on.

As soon as we turned the corner and I saw it a little voice in my head said ‘don’t buy it, it looks knackered and the blokes a shyster’

But I’d come this far…..

Cue 5 years of misery.  and that was just the drive home.......:)

• Haha 3

Thanks to everyone who replied so far.

So, I took a trip to have a look at the machine and saw it running. It's a well built piece of kit.

The current owner had a remote control unit fitted, very handy for loading it with the digger. I had a good look around it, put a log through it and he even lent me a spanner so I could remove the covers for closer inspection. There were a few small issues but nothing unexpected. Basic stuff  I can sort myself in a few evenings.

My only real issue is the remote. The way it was fitted overrides the machines original wiring. The anti stress still works but the original forward reverse has been disconnected. (Before you all freak out its a crane feed only machine, the module used to be wired into the tractor)

I guess my main question is if the remote itself were to be damaged or lost, how do you stop or start the rollers?

I'm sure you could wire both to work together, leaving the wired module as a backup in case of battery failure or loss of remote but this is beyond my capabilities. As is anything beyond a 7 pin trailer plug!

I spoke to a local auto electrician and he is willing to look at it but said an original wiring diagram would be a huge help. 

The old module is with the machine but there is no manual or diagram.

Does anyone have a manual or wiring diagram for a 431 out there?!

Or am I just asking for trouble here?

I know some would run a mile from this but aside from the remote issue it's an honest machine and the seller was open and honest about it too. 

Any information, advice or completely irrelevant nonsensical replies appreciated!