Keeping organised.

Dilz

Slowly making the transition from working predominantly as a subby climber to doing my own jobs hiring in folk etc.  Moved to a new area in 2019 and things really kicked off last year in terms of getting my own jobs in. Did my first  paid advertisement that went out at the end of February and quite a lot of work has come in as result. This week has been the first where I feel I have really cocked up in terms of keeping organised.  Forgotten client meeting, missed messages etc, You said you'd come yesterday kind of thing. I know its a simple as just keeping a good planner with legible notes but being a bit of spaz I ve always found keeping organised a bit tricky.

Was wondering if there is any good info / apps / tips and tricks out there about keeping on top of stuff? 

Having now just written this I guess just getting better disciplined about keeping notes - maybe getting an online calendar that sends notifications / reminders would be a good way to go? 

I still forget appointments, get days mixed up.

Usually when I’m taking calls trying to organise stuff at work, in the van at lunchtime.

Just be more disciplined about writing stuff and checking your diary every morning in case you have an appointment later in the day.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dilz said:

yeah - its kind of self evident- just get better at being organised,

discipline = freedom (from annoyed clients calling me in the evening when i'm having a nap on the sofa instead of looking at their tree) 

I think you were just a bit excited at the upturn in work and it being your own and it rushing in like no tomorrow . You will be fine . just " breath " 🙂👍

Edited by Stubby

Write it all down, be disciplined, put phone numbers in the book when you get the initial call - I’ve missed loads by relying on WhatsApp, texts, voicemail etc so ensure I write it all down now. Home phone, mobile and email if needed. Still get caught out but not too often nowadays 

• Like 3

Being organised, being where you say you’ll be, paying your suppliers, calling people back and keeping on top of your paperwork is what sorts the wheat from the chaff in this game.

As has been said, everyone gets it wrong from time to time, even the big boys.

I try and make a point of ensuring I do all of that stuff before I have a drink of an evening.

Also, don’t lie to people, if you’ve forgotten, apologise and say you’ve forgotten. 
They’re more likely to forgive/believe you and then you don’t have to remember the lie when you see them.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Stubby said:

I think you were just a bit excited at the upturn in work and it being your own and it rushing in like no tomorrow . You will be fine . just " breath " 🙂👍

Time to head over to the 'Stress' thread....😬😜

I don't handle the volume of jobs that many of you do, so maybe wouldn't work as well but I put everything into Trello boards. (www.trello.com and also a phone app).

The concept is simple, it's cards which you can put into lists and put lists on boards. I have a board for tree work, then start a card for each job enquiry, write job details onto. You can make whichever lists you like to put cards on, I have enquiry, quote to write, quoted, queue to do, done (need paid) and move jobs across. They can have dates, notes, whatever added so that you can make a summary of what's due as well.

The great thing about a cloud system is that it's the same set of boards anywhere, so whether that's lunchtime in the van, in the office doing my other job, or at home when I've left stuff in the van it's the same set of up to date cards.

Bottom line is though like any system you have to keep checking it and make sure you put everything on. I think it's far more important that you have a simple system and stick to it, than the system itself be perfect.