Transmission wind up

Bobsaw

It's an immediate thing. The second you turn a corner the wheels should rotate at different speeds. Once in 4x the front and rear axles have to turn the same amounts and you get torque wind up. No problem on slippy surfaces as the wheels can easily under rotate to compensate but on a dry road you put a lot of load through the transmission before the wheels slips.

Surprised you did not feel it when cornering as it's very pronounced on my old Hilux. 

• Like 3

Yes as @Woodworks says it normally becomes very noticeable as stiff steering, the effect also leads to much increased tyre wear if used on tarmac. If you get onto the tarmac and find it won't pop out of 4WD the procedure I found best was to reverse whilst turning steering from lock to lock. Else jack up one wheel with the handbrake off. What happens is the induced torque from the wheels rotating as different speeds causes friction between the dogs that engage 4WD so they will not slide apart and disengage.

• Like 2

In a Defender etc (of a certain vintage) the easiest to get the diff lock light to go out is simply pull the handbrake on, put it in reverse and bring it up on the clutch to the bite point.

Just continue to drive against the handbrake (no need to move it’ll just rock back a bit as all the transmission takes up) and the light will go out.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, LGP Eddie said:

In a Defender etc (of a certain vintage) the easiest to get the diff lock light to go out is simply pull the handbrake on, put it in reverse and bring it up on the clutch to the bite point.

Just continue to drive against the handbrake (no need to move it’ll just rock back a bit as all the transmission takes up) and the light will go out.

Two things spring to mind with this, 1 - I never knew that, I've always just put it into reverse and driven backwards until it disengages and 2 - you managed to find a defender of a certain vintage with a working handbrake?!?!?!😲

There you go and despite literally growing up with them, it was an instructor on the LandRover experience half day I was given that proved every day really is a school day.

The fact he also told me beforehand nobody has ever got a 110 around that bit of the course in one go without a shunt, also ensured it was a school day for him!😂

12 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I have to do the same in the Ranger.

Shunt forward and backward, ease it up against the handbrake.

Sometimes its a right bastard.

I wondered if wind up was the reason that the 2004 hilux had a dog clutch on the output of the diff because that never seemed to have the problem

1 minute ago, openspaceman said:

I wondered if wind up was the reason that the 2004 hilux had a dog clutch on the output of the diff because that never seemed to have the problem

I was just about to write that I only have this issue on the hilux after engaging low box, never with 4x4 high. A few meters in reverse always pops it back out. Can't do the handbrake trick cos well, it's a hilux. They had to get something wrong!