Wood juice and pentacryl

hodge grayson

Has/does anyone use this for cookies, to prevent radial cracking? Seems a bit too good to be true but would appreciate hearing other peoples thoughts before I waste time and money trying it.

A green wood stabilizer that displaces water in fresh cut wood and prevents shrinking during the drying process, which...

14 minutes ago, hodge grayson said:

Has/does anyone use this for cookies, to prevent radial cracking? Seems a bit too good to be true but would appreciate hearing other peoples thoughts before I waste time and money trying it.

A green wood stabilizer that displaces water in fresh cut wood and prevents shrinking during the drying process, which...

Sounds like PEG which was briefly popular many moons ago but fell out of favour but not sure why. Never used either though 

Might help 

I was on pinterest the other day and saw a topic about stabilising log slices with 'peg'- polyethylene glycol. I was...

Edited by Woodworks

51 minutes ago, hodge grayson said:

There was a recent thread on this subject where the use of PEG  as @Woodworks suggested {thanks} didn't come up, a quick google search brings up quite a lot.. I'll be trying it for sure👍

Found this pdf with instructions on how to use.

https://owic.oregonstate.edu/sites/default/files/pubs/peg.pdf

Edited by Macpherson

9 minutes ago, hodge grayson said:

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'll give it a try and reserve judgement til I've seen the results. If it turns out worthwhile, I'll let you know.

please post results on here as i'd be interested in some if it's as good as they say 👍

Pretty sure PEG was used in the preservation of Henry VIII’s warship Mary Rose, which was raised from the seabed about 40 years ago. Round about the time PEG was being promoted for woodturning. Think the remains of the ship are in a visitor centre in Portsmouth now? Must go sometime.

Andrew

I seem to remember reading /hearing that PEG does preserve wood ...but it is not really suitable for practical things like furniture as it does not really dry out / cure so has an unpleasant feel to it and further finishes ...oils , waxes , varnishes etc can not be applied on top as they wont adhere to the surface , it seems to be a good product but has very limited applications .

• Like 1