Wages for employees

TREES.SERVICES

8 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

So that’s a yes then. 🤣

Go on then, I'll give your ego it's required boost.

Yes Andy, I'll do an 11hr day for 80 quid gratefully. As an unqualified, inexperienced, over the hill waster that is basically a glorified gardener, the only way I can get the work that a 20yr old does is undercut them on price and drag brash quicker.

Won't always be this way though, I aspire to one day spend my time away from my loved ones, being a really important employee on a platform in the sea. Maybe even get a wee blankie at Christmas to make up for not being with the family, then I'll have made it in life.

Seriously though, I know you struggle to grasp it, but I'm doing the job I love, I'm good at it, respected by my colleagues and secure in my position. Even earn enough money to be happy, I'm doing fine thanks.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

Discussing rates in here never ends well, I have tried many times over the years..  There seems to be huge variation depending on area.

Many are unable to tell the difference between a freelancer and employee and we are never comparing like for like.  

Many of the most vocal may not even be actually involved in tree work or do it as a side line where paying a one off climber for a day a large rate is not really comparable to a full time employee. Some of the rates quoted on here sound amazing and I know are unachievable in my area.

It is difficult to know how much your competitors charge but I spent all Friday afternoon calling back quotes we didn't win and asking why. Nearly all were because we we too expensive and for many jobs the winning quote was considerably less that ours. 

What I do know is that costs are rising, freelancers seem to be doing well at the moment and pushing up rates. As an employer this is making life difficult as it in turn is pushing up what employees expect. the risk is that if the busy times stop freelancers will be dropped and employers with high wage bills are going to struggle.

It would be nice if the companies at the bottom pushed up their rates .

The OP did specifically ask about wages for employees.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

Discussing rates in here never ends well, I have tried many times over the years..  There seems to be huge variation depending on area.

Many are unable to tell the difference between a freelancer and employee and we are never comparing like for like.  

Many of the most vocal may not even be actually involved in tree work or do it as a side line where paying a one off climber for a day a large rate is not really comparable to a full time employee. Some of the rates quoted on here sound amazing and I know are unachievable in my area.

It is difficult to know how much your competitors charge but I spent all Friday afternoon calling back quotes we didn't win and asking why. Nearly all were because we we too expensive and for many jobs the winning quote was considerably less that ours. 

What I do know is that costs are rising, freelancers seem to be doing well at the moment and pushing up rates. As an employer this is making life difficult as it in turn is pushing up what employees expect. the risk is that if the busy times stop freelancers will be dropped and employers with high wage bills are going to struggle.

Interesting read.

Well done on chasing the quotes, something I’ve never got round to, but should.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Go on then, I'll give your ego it's required boost.

Yes Andy, I'll do an 11hr day for 80 quid gratefully. As an unqualified, inexperienced, over the hill waster that is basically a glorified gardener, the only way I can get the work that a 20yr old does is undercut them on price and drag brash quicker.

Won't always be this way though, I aspire to one day spend my time away from my loved ones, being a really important employee on a platform in the sea. Maybe even get a wee blankie at Christmas to make up for not being with the family, then I'll have made it in life.

Seriously though, I know you struggle to grasp it, but I'm doing the job I love, I'm good at it, respected by my colleagues and secure in my position. Even earn enough money to be happy, I'm doing fine thanks.

Fair enough. But why sell yourself short? If you’re good at what you do and respected then command the wage you deserve?

I’m quite sure you where being facetious when you said you work 11 hours for £80 though. ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Fair enough. But why sell yourself short? If you’re good at what you do and respected then command the wage you deserve?

I’m quite sure you where being facetious when you said you work 11 hours for £80 though. ;)

I was being facetious. To be fair, I don't earn what you do and never will, but I'm not selling myself short either. Love my job and happy with what I get for doing it, I'm very well looked after.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Doug Tait said:

I was being facetious. To be fair, I don't earn what you do and never will, but I'm not selling myself short either. Love my job and happy with what I get for doing it, I'm very well looked after.

I’m not even remotely comparing work. I simply asked if you’d work for less than what Mark suggested. I’ve grown up with family in this industry and wages have always been bad but in light of inflation and the rise of costs it amazes me how little folk in Arb are willing to work for. 

When I’m home I’m milling and now processing and sell firewood and timber. The money is a nice income that covers all my costs and provides me free timber and firewood but mainly I do it because love the work. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

I’m not even remotely comparing work. I simply asked if you’d work for less than what Mark suggested. I’ve grown up with family in this industry and wages have always been bad but in light of inflation and the rise of costs it amazes me how little folk in Arb are willing to work for. 

When I’m home I’m milling and now processing and sell firewood and timber. The money is a nice income that covers all my costs and provides me free timber and firewood but mainly I do it because love the work. 

Ok, to answer the question, yes i would work for less than Mark suggested (as an employee, maybe not if taking jobs as an actual subcontractor which is what he referred to).

I think the level of earning has much more value to you than I. As long as I earn "enough" then I rate my lifestyle, time with loved ones etc as being more important. I'm mortgage free, had a private pension since I started work at 17, and couldn't be happier with what I do for work. Lot more to life than just earning more...

• Like 6

2 hours ago, benedmonds said:

Totally agree with you on these points, and well said.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, benedmonds said:

I did wriight an essay on this, but wrote feck on it, ever since I've been here you have spoke nonsense. You've been ridiculed by other members and haven't even noticed.

Craic on.

Edited by eggsarascal