Wages for employees

TREES.SERVICES

Seems a lot of people don't want to open up on this one.
I am comfortable with answering.
I have a very hard working 28 year old who is a complete asset. He is a very good groundie, and a good second climber. I pay him £13 per hour.
I have a loyal, trustworthy, employed reliable donkey who I pay £10 per hour.
I also have a subbing donkey who I pay £80 - 100 per day.
I work on the basis of £30 + VAT per man per hour on site, plus travel and fuel costs.
For fixed cost quotes, if there is a job I want I may quote at £550 - 600 + VAT per day for three men, or £650 - 800 + VAT for four men.
For jobs I don't want I quote higher.
This is in the north midlands.

Too cheap ... I'd put two men out for your three!
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, maybelateron said:

Agreed in principal, I always want to pay my staff as well as possible.

However, there is often more than just the hourly rate to consider. My employed donkey has twice put metal through the chipper - once it was an electric fencing stake, second time a steel carabiner, plus various other errors that cost me money. The young lad is a star, and he gets other benefits - on the rare occasion he is off work with sickness he gets full pay from day one, although this is not in his contract. When he was furloughed in early 2020 I made his pay up to 100% at my own expense, after claiming the 80 % from the government. If he asks to finish early so he can be at school to see his young son collect a prize, he can be there. 

There are many ways of rewarding good workers.

Also remember that South Cheshire is not the same as North Staffs, and we are over subscribed with tree surgeons in SOT.

Fair play paying his full wages during furlough, but give me a rest about SOT and South Cheshire, I could throw a tennis ball from here and it would land Alsager, 15 minutes away and the wages go up by £100/week? People in and around Stoke are tight, nothing more, nothing less. When I lived in Suffolk where the cost of living is much higher the average wage was around £23k, guess what the average wage is around SOT?

11 hours ago, maybelateron said:

Seems a lot of people don't want to open up on this one.

I am comfortable with answering.

I have a very hard working 28 year old who is a complete asset. He is a very good groundie, and a good second climber. I pay him £13 per hour.

I have a loyal, trustworthy, employed reliable donkey who I pay £10 per hour.

I also have a subbing donkey who I pay £80 - 100 per day.

I work on the basis of £30 + VAT per man per hour on site, plus travel and fuel costs.

For fixed cost quotes, if there is a job I want I may quote at £550 - 600 + VAT per day for three men, or £650 - 800 + VAT for four men.

For jobs I don't want I quote higher.

This is in the north midlands.

Here’s the mis-match (in my interpretation) from what you’ve described. 

Firstly, just to say, I suspect our attitudes to work generation are broadly similar. I’ll do the jobs I like for the people I like - anything else can go whistle. I’m not chasing the income. 

But on that basis, I pay not by the hour, but by the day. 

The job is costed by (a reasonable assessment) of time required and then each person has the agreed amount of money / day.

If we all graft and finish by 14:00 - so be it. 

What happens if you’re paying by the hour and the job finishes at 14:00 - do you pay the full day or just the hours worked?

If you pay the full day then you’re misquoting the hourly rates you pay. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, briscoe said:

In another thread Maybelateron you mentioned you used to work as a GP. Is it correct that a GP could charge as locum £600-1000 per day. If so do you ever regret giving up being a GP?!

I am not familiar with GP locum rates, as I left medicine nearly 9 years ago. I would not go back, no matter how much was on the table.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark J said:

Brash draggers 10 - 15 an hour.
Groundie 15 - 30 an hour.
Climber 30 - 40 an hour.
Good climber/good groundie 50 + an hour. 

so for you to sub in a good climber and groundie for a day is going to set you back 800 quid?? or is that employed on the books....

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, carlos said:

so for you to sub in a good climber and groundie for a day is going to set you back 800 quid?? or is that employed on the books....

I think my prices are reasonable. They're for subbing people in. I wouldn't pay a climber less than £200 for a job. 

• Like 2