Wages for employees

TREES.SERVICES

12 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Depends Mark.

£100/day for a skilled SE guy is a massive piss take.

£100/day for an unskilled 18 year old PAYE is a dream come true.

Lately there's been ads on here with sensible wages: £35-40K for a lead climber, I think that's fair rates. 
Minimum wage is £71.25 a day based on a 37.5 hour week; £100 a day PAYE is indeed good going for someone bereft of skills.

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

I’ve clearly stated since covid hit my brothers business has been affected. There’s no need to frame your retort as a redundant question. 

I have yet to mock the “concept of arb workers” it’s a legitimate role and a much needed one. I take satisfaction in the work because it’s a beautiful satisfying lifestyle. 

I love how you justify abusing some kids slightly less than the other mobs do and try and make it sound like you’re the white knight. 

No, you clearly stated your brother had moved to Scotland to be a big deal in the building industry, creaming in money from little jobs by charging more than anyone else could due to his excellence. Your fledgling log business is more a charity for the workless brother. Well done Britney, another untruth crumbles.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

No, you clearly stated your brother had moved to Scotland to be a big deal in the building industry, creaming in money from little jobs by charging more than anyone else could due to his excellence. Your fledgling log business is more a charity for the workless brother. Well done Britney, another untruth crumbles.

Everything’s fluid, little jobs come and go and just now they appear to be a bit thin on the ground. Or perhaps like the Arb industry there’s more and more wasters willing to work for pennies, he’s not. 
 But no matter my milling, not log business will help keep him afloat. His work will pick up soon and I’ll just have to cut back on the orders I take. 

I thought in another thread ur brother didn't think it was worth getting out of bed for less than 600 quid a day, labour only.

There is some boys local to me milling and they're working hard and not making anything like the money u claim.

Same with the firewood business, i have far too much firewood about me, but the thought of selling it for the going rate after i've felled, logged and hand split the timber and possibly moved it a couple of times, just not worth selling for the money i'd get.

I probably live in an area where arb rates are pretty low and not an awful lot of arb companies just not a lot of money in area, and even commercial forestry rates are quite low ( bloody only place in the country where heaps of hand cutters still on the go) but people just aren't going to pay a lot of money for arb work. 

U can only price wot the area can stand.

If u think arb is bad look into agriculture, couple of years ago i was helping out a fencing company but most of the other lads where only on about 10 quid an hour SE, fair enough no tools, van etc and getting there 5 days in a week as many hours as they want.

But still not a lot to get ur holidays off, by time tax is off ur only £8 an hour and no holiday or sick pay.

I do think the minimum wage is too high, some of the useless numpties u see i'd hate to be paying them the minimum wage, bloody hell some paying with chocolate buttons would be too much.

But i also think in the last 20 years the cost of living has went throu the roof, everyone has mobiles now, £10++, internet 25 quid, sky 25+++,a month, all bills that didn't even exist 20 years ago, if ur into fancy phons and full sky package u could be £150 a month before u even start with normal expenses cars etc.

I know i have never worked as hard and getting paid a wage i'm happy with yet never quite know where it all goes.

When i was younger it was all 4/5 night wknds every week, and even some big school nights when working away from home and u still always had money in ur pocket and saving some too

Living is dear now 

• Like 2

Seems to be a lot of different numbers being chucked about, i know pay will differ from different regions, the original post was asking for prices in the northwest region, now call me thick stupid or what ever you want but we all live on a relativly small island but there is one or 2 things i will never get my head round in life, Why does a pint of beer in my local cost £3.10 and the same pint in London £6.40 ? so the cost of living or going out in London costs more but the pint of beer or a loaf which is made in the same brewery/bakery as mine ?,

We seem to have turned in to a very greedy nation over the last 30-40 yrs and its down to the same old thing Money,, i am pretty old school really and one thing i do get out of my work is enjoyment and satisfaction and i think at times for me that is more important than the money side of it, I have employed lads straight out of Myerscough collage who have got a few tickets but unfortunatly very little know how and some with even less drive, they start talking about being paid £100-£120 a day, but due to lack of knowledge can i afford to pay that ? i am not a charity and nor will i subsidise people, we all tend to start at the bottom and work our way up but pay at the bottom is not good and its like every thing else we have to put some effort in and work towards our goals in life, i for one would never of thought i would be the main go to guy for a multi million pound company when it comes to getting big oversized trees down in the north west and i dont know how i got there, Ok pay is not brilliant compared to other tree related jobs but the satisfaction of the job for me makes up for that, so to sum things up just work towards your goals and you will get there,  to give you some idea the Beech logs below are 3.1 mtr long,   

IMG_0484.JPG

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

I thought in another thread ur brother didn't think it was worth getting out of bed for less than 600 quid a day, labour only.

There is some boys local to me milling and they're working hard and not making anything like the money u claim.

Same with the firewood business, i have far too much firewood about me, but the thought of selling it for the going rate after i've felled, logged and hand split the timber and possibly moved it a couple of times, just not worth selling for the money i'd get.

I probably live in an area where arb rates are pretty low and not an awful lot of arb companies just not a lot of money in area, and even commercial forestry rates are quite low ( bloody only place in the country where heaps of hand cutters still on the go) but people just aren't going to pay a lot of money for arb work. 

U can only price wot the area can stand.

If u think arb is bad look into agriculture, couple of years ago i was helping out a fencing company but most of the other lads where only on about 10 quid an hour SE, fair enough no tools, van etc and getting there 5 days in a week as many hours as they want.

But still not a lot to get ur holidays off, by time tax is off ur only £8 an hour and no holiday or sick pay.

I do think the minimum wage is too high, some of the useless numpties u see i'd hate to be paying them the minimum wage, bloody hell some paying with chocolate buttons would be too much.

But i also think in the last 20 years the cost of living has went throu the roof, everyone has mobiles now, £10++, internet 25 quid, sky 25+++,a month, all bills that didn't even exist 20 years ago, if ur into fancy phons and full sky package u could be £150 a month before u even start with normal expenses cars etc.

I know i have never worked as hard and getting paid a wage i'm happy with yet never quite know where it all goes.

When i was younger it was all 4/5 night wknds every week, and even some big school nights when working away from home and u still always had money in ur pocket and saving some too

Living is dear now 

Two Spruce 6”x1” board orders came in this morning. 5.6m lengths and £10 each. 100 for one order and 30 for another.  So that’s £1300 right there.
The Spruce is £45 a ton. I doubt I’ll need more than 6t. So that’s £300 give it take. Loader is £60 for the day. I’ll rattle them out in one day. So about £940-£950 for the day. 

Easy money. 

I don’t bother with the mobile milling now. Even at £500 a day it’s not really worth it. 

B91FF95A-47FD-428B-A2B1-92D1F083C805.jpeg