Wages for employees

TREES.SERVICES

What confuses me most in this industry is why are well all talking in pounds per hour and not salary's? 

The OP was for on the books staff right? This was the weirdest thing coming into this industry. 

For the record, anyone charging 500-650 a day for a 3 man crew isn't going to around much longer. All you are doing is barely covering costs, no profit. Lets not forget this is a business.

Anyway:

Lead climber £37,000 PA + Bonus + Overtime (1.5x saturday, 2x Sunday)

2nd Climber £28,000 PA + Bonus + Overtime (1.5x saturday, 2x Sunday)

1st year groundie (no quals) £24,000 PA + Bonus + Overtime (1.5x saturday, 2x Sunday)

Based on 40hrs a week. 

Staff get a bonus whenever we do more than £1500 + VAT a day on a 3/4 man crew. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, briscoe said:

Milling timber certainly sounds different to general arb at those rates.  For me £400 would be for myself and worker for a 6-8hr day. I make £300 for day and worker £100. I need to cover quoting, running equipment, wage etc. Market forces that rate and plenty will work for it. I don't think its greedy to pay a worker £100. Likewise I dont think its greedy making a profit on your finished timber. It is what it is and you shouldn't worry about it.  Milling does sound lucrative but I guess it needs very expensive equipment?

Excluding vehicles I think I’ve close on £40k in machinery and equipment. Small change to some here, maybe significantly more than the man & saw type with a few tickets. Clearly not enough to satisfy those who feel I only have a voice here if I slave away 10 hours a day every day of the year for peanuts and keep my head down. 

I think any work paid from the neck up is worth £200 a day. It’s certainly worth that to me. If I could get another lad in to lighten the load on me and my brother and he was sharp then £200 a day is what I’d pay. Id expect results, quotas and initiatives to be displayed obviously. 

1 minute ago, Clutchy said:

What confuses me most in this industry is why are well all talking in pounds per hour and not salary's? 

The OP was for on the books staff right? This was the weirdest thing coming into this industry. 

For the record, anyone charging 500-650 a day for a 3 man crew isn't going to around much longer. All you are doing is barely covering costs, no profit. Lets not forget this is a business.

Anyway:

Lead climber £37,000 PA + Bonus + Overtime (1.5x saturday, 2x Sunday)

2nd Climber £28,000 PA + Bonus + Overtime (1.5x saturday, 2x Sunday)

1st year groundie (no quals) £24,000 PA + Bonus + Overtime (1.5x saturday, 2x Sunday)

Based on 40hrs a week. 

Staff get a bonus whenever we do more than £1500 + VAT a day on a 3/4 man crew. 

What part of the country are you in Clutchy?

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

I am set up myself. Have my own wee budding business that’s building rather nicely. I pay my brother £200 a day for general milling and firewood production. He can easily mill £1000 of timber for me in that day. I take the orders, he does the milling when I’m otherwise occupied, I get the wife to do the books. Second easiest game I’ve ever been in. 

Is this the same brother who’s booked up for months solid at over £600 profit a day doing basic handyman stuff?  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Clutchy said:

Hertfordshire

Can't find fault in your rates then for the area.  Up here - Edinburgh, Lothians, Borders, Fife - new trained climbers will be lucky to get £20-21 on starting.  Once a bit proven maybe 26.

These guys obviously know what freelance guys get and want it too - but not all of them understand what actually goes into a pay packet.

• Like 1

I went into recruitment for a bit after a knee op a few years ago, landscape sector.

It was like pulling teeth trying to recruit skilled hard landscapers.

Say they were on a grand a week doing their own thing.

I’d be trying to talk them into a £40k pa job PAYE with all benefits and a van.

They’d be like - ‘But I’m on £52k pa now?’

I’d be like ‘How much have you earned in the last fortnight when it’s pissed down constantly?’

’Errr, nothing. Couldn’t get on the sites’.

I’d be like - ‘Well, this job would pay you whatever the weather, no more finding work, no more buying tools or vehicles, holiday pay, sick pay, pension, yada yada yada. And you get £40k.’

Brief pause -

‘But I’m on £52k at the moment…..’

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Then occasionally I’d have someone convinced it might be the right move and they’d go ‘Is that £40k after tax?’

I’d look around my desk for a couple of sharp pencils so I could end it all.

Clutchy makes a very valid point that hourly rates aren’t really a factor in PAYE positions, your contract will be for 37.5hrs/week minimum whether there is any work or not.

Still see loads of ads on here asking for full time on an SE basis, which is totally illegal. We all know that, but still seems largely ignored.

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, rapalaman said:

Agreed on some of those points too - so many mates were boasting of skiving off, sleeping on night shifts, skimming off their employer’s etc.

however at British Leyland, whether the workers grafted or not, the products were generally pretty crap! Just think of the Allegro, Maxi, Marina, Rovers and Triumphs - so many poorly designed, badly engineered heaps that the workers didn’t really have a future. Add in all the strikes in the 70s and the writing was on the wall for a long while

The main Leyland plant was not far from me and when i was at school back in the 70s, some lads i knocked about with where quite proud of there dads, grandads and uncles working, or should we say going to Leyland motors on nights and doing FA, one lads dad worked/went to Leyland on nights and had a window cleaning round 4 days a wk so he didnt do much on nights, and after all they could only work with what they was given and that would be reflect from the companys profits, some where on the rob as well one bloke who was a painter used to spray more cars in his garage than he did at Leyland and all the paint would belong to Leyland, i remember painting a tipping trailer in the mid 70s with my Dad and the paint was a Leyland colour and if my memory serves me right it cost my Dad 50p for a gallon tin, 

3 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I went into recruitment for a bit after a knee op a few years ago, landscape sector.

It was like pulling teeth trying to recruit skilled hard landscapers.

Say they were on a grand a week doing their own thing.

I’d be trying to talk them into a £40k pa job PAYE with all benefits and a van.

They’d be like - ‘But I’m on £52k pa now?’

I’d be like ‘How much have you earned in the last fortnight when it’s pissed down constantly?’

’Errr, nothing. Couldn’t get on the sites’.

I’d be like - ‘Well, this job would pay you whatever the weather, no more finding work, no more buying tools or vehicles, holiday pay, sick pay, pension, yada yada yada. And you get £40k.’

Brief pause -

‘But I’m on £52k at the moment…..’

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Then occasionally I’d have someone convinced it might be the right move and they’d go ‘Is that £40k after tax?’

I’d look around my desk for a couple of sharp pencils so I could end it all.

Clutchy makes a very valid point that hourly rates aren’t really a factor in PAYE positions, your contract will be for 37.5hrs/week minimum whether there is any work or not.

Still see loads of ads on here asking for full time on an SE basis, which is totally illegal. We all know that, but still seems largely ignored.

Valid points.

I'm considering getting a job, after twenty odd years of doing my own thing, purely to have some time off from having to put up with myself as a boss. 

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Is he not doing as much of the lucrative building work at the moment?

I don't follow why you mock the concept of arb workers having job satisfaction but claim to have it in spades yourself.

Incidentally, there's a couple of young lads at work that came to arb from supermarket delivery jobs. They probably earn slightly less for now, but their work is rewarding, less stressful, healthier, and they claim to be enjoying life much more.

Loving what they do is a big deal to some folk Andy. 

I’ve clearly stated since covid hit my brothers business has been affected. There’s no need to frame your retort as a redundant question. 

I have yet to mock the “concept of arb workers” it’s a legitimate role and a much needed one. I take satisfaction in the work because it’s a beautiful satisfying lifestyle. 

I love how you justify abusing some kids slightly less than the other mobs do and try and make it sound like you’re the white knight.