Hyper Skip Chain

gobbypunk

So I havent had the Alaskan Mill out for like over a year and this weekend just gone went up to Upminster to mill a Walnut tree that came down in my mates next door neighbours ,ran a file over the chain as it had not been used in a while but it just wasnt cutting right real hard work and a real bad finish ,so did the cutters and rakers again and still very slow cutting so I was wondering if the Hyper Skip just didnt like the green Walnut it was also so so pale I will get some pics up as soon as I can having a lazy morning as I worked all weekend and I my shoulders ache like F##K .

I haven't used a hyper skip but my regular skip on a 46" bar is glorious. 

Granted, not as fast as a regular chain but finish is top notch.

Rough hewn did a long youtube vid on what worked (for him) and what didn't.

Based on what he said and own experience , tend to agree. 

Hyper on shorter (36") bars wasn't effective. 

Hope the shoulders recover and can't wait for the pics on "todays milling"

Yeah will have to watch that vid ,its a very pale colour though very thin sap wood band ,my mate has lived next door for almost 60yrs and has had Walnuts from it  will borrow the girlfriends iphone as my phone isnt compatible with arbtalk photos

• Like 1

I'm happy with my hyper skip on the 60 inch bar but have semi skip on a 42 which is equally good imo, less load on the saw is my main reason for going hyper skip. I use full comp on the 32 inch but rarely mill with it. Could it be bar wear that's affecting your cutting performance?

• Like 1

My chain came by mistake so when I spoke to Laurence from Chainsaw Bars I just decided to keep it and even though I have only used it a few times its been cutting fine but could be the bar but I did clean ,dress sharpen etc before I went .