Telegraph poles - new pole on private land

1 minute ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Suggests legal wayleave must be in place first.

Yes, I've seen that thanks and a few others but it says "tend to require prior permission via a legal wayleave agreement" rather than "must require".

I expect in my case they will require it but will behave like they don't.

• Like 2

There are wayleaves and easements - one of these agreements essentially hands over all future rights of access etc to the utility company, the other keeps the majority of rights in the hands of the landowner. If one of those agreements is in place historically then they may be able to place their infrastructure on your land howsoever they see fit. If not then they won’t be able to do it without your written agreement, whatever they tell you.

If they come on against your will and plant a pole whilst you are out then I’d fell it and keep it personally.

• Like 3

I receive a wayleave payment for an electricity pole, although it's only a couple of quid so I've never bothered cashing the cheque.

But I gather the laws are different with telegraph poles so I don't know how the wayleave would work with them. I had thought about felling the pole but I gather it's a criminal offence to tamper with telecoms, even a pole slapped without permission in the middle of your garden.

Blocking access is not possible as access will be gained from the road and I don't know where they plan to stick it.

Annoyingly I'm more than happy to have it if it's in a sensible place.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

I receive a wayleave payment for an electricity pole, although it's only a couple of quid so I've never bothered cashing the cheque.

But I gather the laws are different with telegraph poles so I don't know how the wayleave would work with them. I had thought about felling the pole but I gather it's a criminal offence to tamper with telecoms, even a pole slapped without permission in the middle of your garden.

Blocking access is not possible as access will be gained from the road and I don't know where they plan to stick it.

Annoyingly I'm more than happy to have it if it's in a sensible place.

You godda talk to people .

47 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

Yes, I've had some dealings in the past hence trying to sort this before anything stupid is done. The link does suggest they must ask permission so I'll go with that.