1700's bread oven advice

DGB

Guest Gimlet
On 05/03/2022 at 21:00, DGB said:

Hi all, 

I'm not really sure where to post this question so the General forum seems logical.

I live in a house that has a bread oven in great internal condition in a sumner room attached to the house in the garden. 

It was missing its original door and I am yet to find one of the right size and period to fit, so in the meantime until I find one I have made a mild steel alternative.

Anyway, the oven is now complete all bar access to o chimney!

Origionally the oven would have been brought upto temperature with the door open and the smoke/fumes would have been drawn out through the front of the oven and back through the gap above it into to the chimney stack. This is not longer possible as the chimney is blockef halfway up with a flu liner serving a wood burning stove in an upstairs room of the house so I need an alternative.

I reckon I could exit the top of the oven if I fit a flu to the outside but here lies the question ...

How short could the flu be and still be efficient?

I don't want something that's 20ft tall and sticking straight up I  the air and so was wondering if a short 4" flu would work as per the line on the picture.

Any suggestions would be welcomed as I'd love to get it lit and running.

Thanks 

20220305_205650.jpg

20220305_174027.jpg

20220305_174006.jpg

20220305_205808.jpg

If you punch a hole in vaulted brickwork like that, I think it will collapse. It would be like putting a flue through an arch. The whole stability of the structure would be compromised, and then you introduce heat and a steel flue pipe that's expanding and contracting with use. I wouldn't touch it, you'll open a can of worms. 

And I doubt it would function as an oven with a flue. Pizza ovens are different. They cook quickly whereas bread ovens needed to retain heat for much longer. I doubt you'd be able to keep the heat in with a flue fitted. It's been designed without one and sited near an open chimney for a reason. 

I think if you try modifying it you will come to regret it. Better to work out a way of introducing some form of extraction into your existing fireplace. 

And as has been pointed out, you would need a massive flue pipe. It looks like there's a window above and to the right of the bread oven roof. The flue terminal would have to be at least two metres above and to the side of that window for a start, and clear by the same margin of any adjacent roof structures. No go, in my view. I think, somehow or other you have to adapt and utilise your existing flue. 

On the subject of the door, If you can't find a period one, I know of a blacksmith who would make one for you. John Beavis is probably the best blacksmith in the country in my opinion - he makes all my hedging tools. He may even have original pattern drawings for oven door designs from the period. He has all sorts of old drawings. He could certainly make one that would be completely authentic.

http://brinkworth-smithy.co.uk/

Though you advised on another oven, I love to leave an advice about the best outdoor pizza ovens. Camp Chef Italia Artisan Pizza Oven.
https://lilgrill.com/best-outdoor-pizza-oven/
This is awesome and comes with all necessary features.

This is my brothers 3rd Pizza oven build. We’ll be starting mine this summer. They work very well.

7240b367-e971-4eff-a427-0953df9522f6.jpgc2774ce7-7ad7-467d-9d3c-c04cb470407e.jpg5a18e76c-0254-4d44-8585-41b4b7d7cb6e.jpg9f568439-e8f4-42c2-8ecd-814318a91182.jpg

This is a previous build

2ba1c738-09b2-47f6-a8d2-e3faf8db3ee0.jpg

• Like 1

What mortar mix do you use Andy? since  I always fancied such an oven.

I got a pallet of old red brick set aside  to use for such a project.

Hmmm?

Any way to incorporate a barbecue grill in such a construction?

Its my brothers build so Im not 100% sure? I asked him if he added Lime to the mix but he said no, I will be unless there is a good reason not to-He normally has a layer of insulation followed by chicken wire to secure then a render but I do not see the point with the fire bricks, regular bricks maybe, with the test fire and further larger fires there was very little heat loss

We picked up several hundred tapered fire bricks that came from some kind of kiln, perfect for this application I think? 

The dome was created with an exercise ball then paper mache. Then plaster over the Paper mache.919bfafe-46a7-4a51-a568-794600b7b039.jpg17afff43-f7e6-4f81-8644-5c1c91677b5a.jpg8a0c0c8a-3a01-47fc-ac3b-46d3164a2be4.jpg8b733f6a-ef81-4a36-840e-5930e14de6e5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, difflock said:

Any way to incorporate a barbecue grill in such a construction?

Hi, I'm in the ' slow ' process of building an outside barbecue area and I bought the hardware in stainless steel from Sunshine bbq and I have to say that I was very pleased with the quality of the items I received.

They do various kits which you can build around to suit your needs, I bought the heavy duty grill parts, very nice👍

Shop for premium quality and innovative designs of brick DIY BBQ kits, top of the range gas BBQs, hog roast machines &...

• Thanks 1