1700's bread oven advice

DGB

32 minutes ago, Stere said:

CO poisoning though?

Shouldn't be if shallow and well ventilated rather than forming a deep bed. Think disposable picnic barbeque rather than half an oil drum. Still worth having a CO monitor in the vicinity though, whatever the fuel.

Alec

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, agg221 said:

I wonder if you could get away with charcoal? Essentially a portable barbeque, so still no requirement for a flue.

Ironically, our bread oven of equivalent age was demolished in the 1990s when it became unstable, so the only bit we actually have is the original door!

Alec

Hmm, interesting, do you have a picture? My temporary door is just a guess at what it would have looked like.

4 hours ago, Stere said:

https://www.gasproducts.co.uk/lifestyle-9-2-kw-triple-burner-cast-iron-gas-boiling-ring.html?currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2ZHBzZqx9gIVDZ7tCh3anQA6EAQYAyABEgKqxvD_BwE

Reckon it would work? 9.2kW

Might take a few hrs but then with wood would  of done also for larger ovens?

I dont see why not, our log burner is quite large at 7kw and happily heats the entire upstairs of our house with vaulted ceilings.

Also cheaper than and flu Install.

Thanks

Edited by DGB

Picture of the door attached.

Our house had a chimney added c.1550 with a bread oven of the type shown immediately above (see picture) but this is not currently operational. It then had another chimney stack added in the 1700s, specifically as a bread oven. The door came from the latter (now demolished).

Alec

image1 (7).jpeg

image0 (26).jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks all, for the input.

I think the flu option is definitely out due to the advice on the building regs. 

The door pics from 'agg 221' give me an idea of how the door would look whilst I keep searching.

I think I will see how well it warms with a gas burner and if it is successful will order a higher output burner like the link posted by 'Stere'

Much appreciated 

Hi again,

As a rough and ready test I tried it tonight with a small  aping stove of about 1.8kw and in theory it works. 

I thi k with a 9kw as per previous post and when its not starting at 3 degrees 🥶, it could work well.

After aprox 5 minutes uses was upto about 110 degrees C.

Thanks

20220306_193410.jpg

20220306_195638.jpg

20220306_195748.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, muttley9050 said:

The problem I see with that is that you are not heating up the base stone very well. So heat retention may well be much shorter?

Yeah, you're dead right, thats one thing I did notice.

With that in mind using the oven is more of a novelty/curiosity as opposed to necessity so I'll give it a whirl and see what happens.

Thanks

• Like 1