Tree work in a conservation area?

Treetom15

Contacted him and have said either we do it correctly or I won’t carry out the work-I’m thinking there may be more issues underlying and as a lot of you have said, it won’t take much to ruin a reputation. 
And as said above, no not new to the industry but I usually sub to company’s or work direct, so this aspect of it isn’t something I usually deal with. 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Treetom15 said:

Contacted him and have said either we do it correctly or I won’t carry out the work-I’m thinking there may be more issues underlying and as a lot of you have said, it won’t take much to ruin a reputation. 
And as said above, no not new to the industry but I usually sub to company’s or work direct, so this aspect of it isn’t something I usually deal with. 

Be interesting to hear his reaction to what you've said...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Treetom15 said:

Hi all

As the title suggests, I’ve been asked to remove a couple of trees in (what I think) is a conservation area. Now I know usually there should be an application with the local council etc etc….however, the homeowner is certain he doesn’t want to go down that rout, he says all the neighbours are in agreement that the tree (s) should be removed (medium cherry tree, causing damage to parking space etc, no more than 30ft) and he is completely happy to pay any fines etc should they be incurred. 

Basically my question is, if I carry out the work am I liable if I have advised the homeowner to do the relevant applications and checks and they haven’t done them? I don’t want to do the work if I will get fined, I’m not sure if I would be if he has said he will sort any fines (should it come to that)

I want to keep it tidy and above board, but the customer was very sure he did NOT want to speak to council TO’s🤷‍♂️

Walk away, walk away, walk away would be my advice!!! sully your local reputation, f**k yourself with the local Tree Officers with regards to future TPO or conservation area works we always carried out our own checks for conservation and TPO area works regardless of what the customer told us and they were always thank full when something did flag up they were not aware of and we would invariably get approval working with the local authorities for the works required anyway

1 hour ago, Doug Tait said:

Be interesting to hear his reaction to what you've said...

Oddly enough, he was absolutely fine…which makes me wonder why he was so adamant about ignoring it in the first place. I think perhaps as I’ve offered to do the legwork he’s happy with that, either way he’ll he getting the bill for it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Treetom15 said:

My apologies, it was just the fact you were unaware that in CA you don’t apply to do work, you notify the LA that you are planning to do the work and they have a specific time frame to respond.  That may be a notification to crack on or may be a notification that they have slapped a TPO on said tree(s).

Either way I think you have handled it correctly.  You have stated you will do it correctly or walk away.  That means if he says go ahead, you contact the LA.

Kevin touched in this in an earlier post.

If he wants to still do it on the quiet, walk away.  Who cares if he takes on someone else and in a months time the job is done.

And as someone suggested contact the LA to effectively grass your client up.  That could damage your reputation as well.

Just remember ‘snitches get stitches’ (Joke).  Off course I am not suggesting someone with stripe you, just that if you are professional and give him the option to do it your way.  If he is in disagreement they politely decline this job and walk away.

that way no harm is done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

And as someone suggested contact the LA to effectively grass your client up.  That could damage your reputation as well.

I said sleep on it and you might, I've slept on it and I wouldn't - can't really turn out well.

I also said be surprising to hear back but sounds like client changed tune. Something still smells a bit weird about the situation but no harm following through with quotation and S211 notice, see what happens next.