Tree work in a conservation area?

Treetom15

On 05/03/2022 at 17:44, Treetom15 said:

Definitely not crazy money-however the chap is minted and insisted that any fines he would pay. Best thing I can think is to speak to the local TO Monday and see what they say?

Yeh Right...
The fine could be £ 10,000 to £ 20,000...

It really is not hard to do this properly... 
1) Email the Local Planning Department with a map, Aerial Google View identifying the trees that work is plan on, A brief out line of the proposed work.
2) Ask if there is any TPO's, Conservation Orders or any Planning Stipulation that would pose an issue.

The Planning office will respond with a straight answer. If there isn't any ordered you can crack on.
If there is an issue you will need to submit a Tree Works Planning Application.

But don't don't touch the job if there is... You will end up in Court, Big Fines, Your name and professional reputation will be mud, and everyone will know it.

Edited by Jamie Jones
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

If you go on the local planning portal it should be straight forward to bring up the map showing conservation areas and TPO’d trees/ clusters of trees. If he’s willing to pay any fines and is that “minted” ask for a £30,000 returnable deposit to cover any potential fine and costs😳. I generally find any body with more front than Selfridges is full of shit. No job is worth your reputation and if you are taken to court the details will keep coming up on Google for the world to see for the foreseeable future.

• Like 4

Swerve.  

Some people have money and have made it by hanging little guys out to dry.

You sound quite new to the industry and I think he knows it and may take advantage of your naivety.

As I said, ‘Swerve’ with a capital ‘S’.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rich Rule said:

Swerve.  

Some people have money and have made it by hanging little guys out to dry.

You sound quite new to the industry and I think he knows it and may take advantage of your naivety.

As I said, ‘Swerve’ with a capital ‘S’.

Precisely, don’t contact anyone at the council, just walk away.

• Like 6

The fact that the client doesn't want to do the application route suggests to me that they know it has tpo on as well as being in a conservation area. Perhaps has been denied in the past form previous applications by other tree surgeons. Tread carefully sounds like a slippery fellow. 

• Like 1

The answer to the original question, yes you would be liable. Him paying the fine would not get you back to where you started, as others have said you'd make the local news which is the last thing you want. "All the neighbours agree" isn't how planning works.

I'd simply email, above board or nothing - and expect not to hear back.

Problem then is probably someone doing the rounds will rock up and cut them down for cash. That would rankle because he's getting away with it, so you might after sleeping on it tell the TO - up to them after that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Precisely, don’t contact anyone at the council, just walk away.

You have NOT been engaged by that tree owner to liaise with the LA. Period. 

If he IS minted, and a ‘sharp’ character he may well turn his attention on YOU. 

Imagine - you take it upon yourself to contact LA - even though he’s told you NOT to - LA decide to TPO due to a perceived threat to the trees and then he comes after you for breach of contract / confidentiality - or just sets about generally doing you down. 

You’ve got yourself into this pickle by considering cutting corners. Tell him straight - prior to undertaking any tree removals you will check with LA for TPO / CA etc. It is a condition of engagement. 

Has he asked you to murder his Mrs and drop the body down a mine shaft too?  Mum’s the word, leave it with me Guv’nor, don’t worry, if you get caught he’ll cover the fines....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2