Red or white diesel for log cutting/splitting?

Hello everyone.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. We own a smallholding and we saw/split logs here for sale. Does anyone know if we'll need to switch to white diesel from now on or is red still legal/acceptable despite the law changes? 

Many thanks and all the best.

Dan.

3 hours ago, dan blocker said:

As far as I’m aware sawing / splitting logs for resale as never been a agricultural/ forestry activity and therefore should always of been white diesel but I could of course be wrong?

Digging foundations and drainage systems on building sites has never been agricultural or forestry but all the plant and machinery on there sites have run on red diesel for decades,,, so should they of been on white ?, Red diesel has always been stated by HMRC as not for road use, and like a lot of other government statements it only tells you half the story, The issue with the new regs on red diesel as from the 1st of April has been in the pipeline for several years now, and now they are telling us what we can and cant use red diesel for ? i cant see it working like the government want it to work (like squeezing every penny they can out of us) and i cant see how its going to be policed at all ?, the issue now is where and how to purchase red as you are going to have to prove its use to the retailer,,

At present we are facing daily fuel increases here in the UK and we will do for the forseable future and i think its the same all across Europe as well ! but one thing i dont understand is the whats happening in the States with fuel as they are all so getting steep increases daily as America is full of oil ?, I know oil is a commodity and the price alters daily, so are the states just following suit due to the world price of oil on the stock markets ? or was all this increase planed by the world leaders back in October in Glasgow ??, price on red yesterday at 9AM was £1.22 a ltr but told by the time it gets on the wagon at 2PM it could be £1,25 or more as the price was changing every half hour, Tues i paid £1.61 ltr for white and this morning i paid £1.68 ltr and i dont know how true this is but was told this morning we will see another increase on Monday of possibly up to 20p ltr,

Never mind that Shell has just "blagged" a consignment of Russian crude at a deep discount!

Business, eh!

Anyway, from 40 year old memories, I recall a bloke seriously arguing that he could run his vehicle on RoI green diesel(their rebated fuel) simply because it was not our UK  red! 

For whatever reason I had had recently come across the then revelant UK legislation, which boiled down to the absolute catch-all statement that,

"it was an offence to run a vehicle on the public road using fuel on which the duty had NOT been paid".

Simple eh!

BUT

That meant that for other than vehicles on the public road, anything went.

Edited by difflock

9 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Digging foundations and drainage systems on building sites has never been agricultural or forestry but all the plant and machinery on there sites have run on red diesel for decades,,, so should they of been on white ?, Red diesel has always been stated by HMRC as not for road use, and like a lot of other government statements it only tells you half the story, The issue with the new regs on red diesel as from the 1st of April has been in the pipeline for several years now, and now they are telling us what we can and cant use red diesel for ? i cant see it working like the government want it to work (like squeezing every penny they can out of us) and i cant see how its going to be policed at all ?, the issue now is where and how to purchase red as you are going to have to prove its use to the retailer,,

At present we are facing daily fuel increases here in the UK and we will do for the forseable future and i think its the same all across Europe as well ! but one thing i dont understand is the whats happening in the States with fuel as they are all so getting steep increases daily as America is full of oil ?, I know oil is a commodity and the price alters daily, so are the states just following suit due to the world price of oil on the stock markets ? or was all this increase planed by the world leaders back in October in Glasgow ??, price on red yesterday at 9AM was £1.22 a ltr but told by the time it gets on the wagon at 2PM it could be £1,25 or more as the price was changing every half hour, Tues i paid £1.61 ltr for white and this morning i paid £1.68 ltr and i dont know how true this is but was told this morning we will see another increase on Monday of possibly up to 20p ltr,

This is how garages make money because they have bought it at lower prices days or weeks ago and keep putting price up. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Our local garage went up 15p a litre on friday and they reckon it will be £2.00 by the end of this week

• Sad 1

Just now, Doug Tait said:

I was under the impression that they had to charge according to what the batch in their tanks cost them to buy in, so the price at pump would rise when the forecourt took a new delivery. Has that changed or was I mistaken?

I thought that aswell Doug,but they do seem to be putting it up by the hour/day at the minute

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gary112 said:

I thought that aswell Doug,but they do seem to be putting it up by the hour/day at the minute

Oh dear. As always we're a bit behind the South so we'll have that to look forward to, think we're around 1.52 here for diesel just now

• Like 1

Just now, Doug Tait said:

Oh dear. As always we're a bit behind the South so we'll have that to look forward to, think we're around 1.52 here for diesel just now

£1.70 here yesterday and ten miles up the road it was £1.74

• Sad 1