Tribute to the old Defender 90?

chopperpete

Grenadier was supposed to be a British built work truck for the people at an economical price. 

It is now being built abroad and allegedly starts at 48k. Base spec jap pick ups for the farmer are half the price.

Who is the Grenadier aimed at?   

We would love a new hard top 90 for shunting heavy tracked chippers about the country, it would do the job of our 2.4 Puma 90 perfectly. Maybe one day...

Edited by GA Groundcare
  • Like 1

On 09/03/2022 at 11:58, GA Groundcare said:

Grenadier was supposed to be a British built work truck for the people at an economical price. 

It is now being built abroad and allegedly starts at 48k. Base spec jap pick ups for the farmer are half the price.

We would love a new hard top 90 for shunting heavy tracked chippers about the country, it would do the job of our 2.4 Puma 90 perfectly. Maybe one day...

Think you’ve already got the ideal vehicle for the job. It’ll prove to be more reliable than the new so called defender and won’t depreciate any more if looked after. The new defender is a nice truck to drive but mechanically they’re a disaster. Lots have been recalled due to turbo problems ( made in china 😳), broken cranks( made in china). The only way to run one is keep it in warranty then get rid.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2022 at 11:58, GA Groundcare said:

Id say the Grenadier fits the bill for working people more than the New Defender does. its not going to be the "base spec work truck", but as a general purpose vehicle for business owners who need to move machinery, price jobs, go off-road etc its ideal. Id put it in the same category as a V6 amarok, which you wont find for much less now either. The Jap spec pickups are built to a budget for worldwide customers, and that shows sometimes imho. They've all got 4 pot van engines, and questionable interior quality. The Grenadier hasn't been designed for 3 year lease cycles, you can tell by the running gear, and has a nice fat 3.0 I6 diesel for towing. 

I've got a Grenadier reservation so may be biased :D

• Like 3

The Grenadier team do appear to have focussed on the engineering integrity of their suppliers, rather than the price, with BMW engines and transmissons, Steyr transfer box and I believe Carraro axles.

I might have been better to pre-order one, than watching our available funds wither away due to rampant  inflation! 

But when I finally** get the 1999 290GD Steyr Puch lovingly restored, it will probably be an even better investment for the remainder of my driving life.

**She is "booked in" with a very busy very reputable local accident repair guy, who due to a combination of hip operations, lack of staff and priority accident repair work is snowed under.

P.S.

What has driven the loss and lack of mechanics and spray shop guys, since over here all the local garages/spray-shops say that cannot retain or recruit staff this couple of years.

1 hour ago, difflock said:

What has driven the loss and lack of mechanics and spray shop guys, since over here all the local garages/spray-shops say that cannot retain or recruit staff this couple of years.

Mostly inability to pay competitive wages as the business loses work. The thing is, unless you've bought a lemon secondhand out of warranty, cars are incredibly reliable and have long service intervals so cheaper to replace a vehicle at 8-10 years old than repair it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, parkertrees said:

Id say the Grenadier fits the bill for working people more than the New Defender does. its not going to be the "base spec work truck", but as a general purpose vehicle for business owners who need to move machinery, price jobs, go off-road etc its ideal. Id put it in the same category as a V6 amarok, which you wont find for much less now either. The Jap spec pickups are built to a budget for worldwide customers, and that shows sometimes imho. They've all got 4 pot van engines, and questionable interior quality. The Grenadier hasn't been designed for 3 year lease cycles, you can tell by the running gear, and has a nice fat 3.0 I6 diesel for towing. 

I do agree with what you are saying, however in those "business owners who need to move machinery, price jobs, go off-road etc" situations wouldn't you go Disco 5 Commercial? 

4 hours ago, GA Groundcare said:

I do agree with what you are saying, however in those "business owners who need to move machinery, price jobs, go off-road etc" situations wouldn't you go Disco 5 Commercial? 

Built different. independent suspension is pony when being worked hard off-road. Got a 2010 RRs that's been through so many suspension bushes etc I've lost count. Give me solid axles and coil springs for dragging a 2T trailer over rough ground. 

Also the bodywork etc on the new LRs is sooo vulnerable. When you have to replace a front bit of trim because you caught in on a stump, it'll cost you 2k. The grenadier is much more squared off, with actual (real) protection where its needed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, parkertrees said:

Built different. independent suspension is pony when being worked hard off-road. Got a 2010 RRs that's been through so many suspension bushes etc I've lost count. Give me solid axles and coil springs for dragging a 2T trailer over rough ground. 

Also the bodywork etc on the new LRs is sooo vulnerable. When you have to replace a front bit of trim because you caught in on a stump, it'll cost you 2k. The grenadier is much more squared off, with actual (real) protection where its needed.

Fair play, would be good to hear how you get on with it once you get it!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, parkertrees said:

No doubt about it the Grenadier looks a well capable truck with proven engine, gearbox and other components. I presume you’ve been in one but was that as a driver or being driven? What sort of trailer work as been done with them?