Tribute to the old Defender 90?

chopperpete

6 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

How far could you drive yours with water over the top of the bonnet?

Would you leave it stuck in a river overnight with the current flowing through it. Winch it out the next day and drive it home?

Tip it on its side, pitch the tent, sort it out in the morning kind of thing.

Sorry its a poser truck imho.If it makes you happy thats excellent,if it suits your boots even better. 

Your getting less load space than a 4x4 volvo estate and probably less reliability.

You got those vehicle credentials off the script for a new series of Scrapheap challenge?

If you don’t like them or the purchasers of them it’s really no issue.🤷‍♂️

Edited by LGP Eddie

6 minutes ago, LGP Eddie said:

You got those vehicle credentials off the script for a new series of Scrapheap challenge?

If you don’t like them or the purchasers of them it’s really no issue.🤷‍♂️

Your getting scratchy.

Its a SUV with a landy badge on it. Great!

You like it, I dont and I expect more from an off road vehicle than you do.Its really nothing personal, it just wont do what I would expect from and have done with a landy.

1 minute ago, Mike Hill said:

Your getting scratchy.

Its a SUV with a landy badge on it. Great!

You like it, I dont and I expect more from an off road vehicle than you do.Its really nothing personal, it just wont do what I would expect from and have done with a landy.

You’d like to think I’m getting scratchy, but what’s the point?

I have one on order, I may or may not see it yet, but could sell the build slot tomorrow for a tidy profit if I want out, and if I don’t get on with it after 12 months I’d probably not lose out.

It’s bought to be an SUV with overalls and 3.5 tonne towing when required, that’s all it is, and all I need.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, LGP Eddie said:

You’d like to think I’m getting scratchy, but what’s the point?

I have one on order, I may or may not see it yet, but could sell the build slot tomorrow for a tidy profit if I want out, and if I don’t get on with it after 12 months I’d probably not lose out.

It’s bought to be an SUV with overalls and 3.5 tonne towing when required, that’s all it is, and all I need.

Think you'll like it Eddy👍 what engine?

You'll not loose out if it turns up soon...utter madness in resale value 

Seeing a few dragging ifors round here now.

Go for a height adjustable fixed tow ball if you can. I made the mistake of not doing.

Regards poser trucks etc etc blah blah...this was said about Disco 1,2,3,4 and 5s...

And yet look now....🤷 

Edited by Stihllymok

As I said to the guy on the LandRover experience who had obviously just done his party piece by going up the steepest side slope he was happy with and looking down towards me in the passenger side smugly “if you want steep mate, I’ll take you out for a ride in a CAT D6!” 

It’ll be the 6 cylinder diesel, and I did tick the fixed towbar as you hear all sorts of these stow away types.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, LGP Eddie said:

If you mean viable off road vehicle as something around 20k that comes in overalls so you can dog it to death for 3 years and take it back under warranty for any squeak, then the good times have gone.

Why waste a build slot in that market when you can sell absolutely everything you can build for nearly three times the price, into a market where bumping up a kerb is considered off road.

However don’t let the fact it’s looks aren’t to everyone’s taste or it’s price tag is high detract from the fact they’re incredibly capable on or off road.

Indeed they are, I'm on my third disco. A 3, a 4 and now a 5.

Mine does a bit more than bump up a kerb, and it also drives from Norwich to Belgium several times a year. There is next to nothing that will do both jobs as well. 

The 2 litre plug in hybrid will be a game changer, but not available for the disco. 

Stupidly expensive, but until you've had a go in one, you don't really appreciate where the cost goes. It ain't all in the badge. 

He's called Heinz by the way. 

IMG_20220227_100942.jpg

Edited by Unframed Dave
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

How far could you drive yours with water over the top of the bonnet?

Would you leave it stuck in a river overnight with the current flowing through it. Winch it out the next day and drive it home?

Tip it on its side, pitch the tent, sort it out in the morning kind of thing.

Sorry its a poser truck imho.If it makes you happy thats excellent,if it suits your boots even better. 

Your getting less load space than a 4x4 volvo estate and probably less reliability.

I like the last bit, I've had two volvo XC70s in the past. One petrol, one diesel. Best ride quality I've ever experienced, most unreliable also. Nothing but trouble and when a major steering component broke when I was driving it, the last one became my last volvo. 

Before anyone asks, I haven't a clue how the salesman got me to buy the second. I think he was Paul Mckenna before he made a name for himself. 

• Like 2

Volvo is like a cult over here in Scandi.  I thought they were rubbish untill I had one.

I have had four landies, still have one back home in NZ for hunting. I grew up in them, on them and under them but when Jap 4x4s became affordable my Dad bought one and never looked back.

003.jpg

• Like 4

On 07/03/2022 at 16:32, porky said:

Wait for the Ineos Grenadier to launch in the summer.  Looks like serious competiton.

The idea of the Grenadier was great but the reality unfortunately couldn't be further from their starting plan. 

Did they discover why LR pulled the plug on that market...

• Like 4

Never priced one, but I imagine the Ibex is really the only thing left in the marketplace that could truly be seen to be in the market where the Defender used to sit as a true working vehicle, and able to be modified into so many different options.

• Like 1