Vertical Lines in freshly cut log.

redshark1

16 hours ago, Macpherson said:

I'd like the OP to go back and cut down an adjacent tree to see if it had the same weird lines, what species do you think it is ?

Thanks for the attention my lined log has been given.

I believe the fallen tree I cut a month ago was a Hawthorn, but I may be mistaken.

The lines were at right angles to the movement of the saw blade.

I have returned to the site and cut another couple of stumps. This time of oak trees that were shading a hedge and that we decided we needed to get rid of since we have laid the hedge and are wanting it to thrive.

The lines appeared on the oak of 8" diameter that was cut with my excellent Faithful 30" Bowsaw.

No lines appeared on the 6" oak that was cut with my Draper Expert Pruning Saw.

So it would appear that the lines are something to do with my Bowsaw although I cannot explain it.

2022.03.26 Stumps with lines cut with bowsaw Skelton Wood Steve Joul (1).jpg

2022.03.26 Stumps with lines cut with bowsaw Skelton Wood Steve Joul (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

im assuming youve altered the direction of the cut a few times at odd angles to ensure it really is coming from the saw blade? 

movement of the blade back and forth would surely give a zigzag not straight lines

lines are parallel and not meeting, doesnt match with saw movement, and not with growth rings so doesnt suggest external contaminant.

my conclusion is some joker with spraypaint seeing how long they can mock us all