Career change at 37

N84

I'm 37 and needing to change careers from working as a chef. I've a few questions to clarify please. Your comments are much appreciated.

Prior to becoming a chef I worked as a gardener and trained at RBG Kew, so I know that I like working outdoors and love plants. More recently, I have become increasingly curious about trees and am wondering if it's too late in the day to train in Arboriculture?

To flesh-out the above. Back in 2012 I broke my back and neck in a cycling crash, which at the time put an end to my gardening days. I went on to work as a chef but have never really felt it was right for me. The only thing I have ever done that has really felt right is working with plants and being outdoors. As is said, when you know, you know. . Fortunately I have no lasting effects from the injuries and am very fit. I guess what I don't know is how physical the work as an arborist is and whether it's possible to work as an arborist without climbing? With this medical history, is it madness to even contemplate a career with trees?

I need a career that will last the longterm, preferably one with a mixture of indoor and outdoor work. Are there areas of Arboriculture that one can move into that don't involve working outside all the time? I'm a grafter and work hard, so this side of the work doesn't deter me at all. It's more what's physically practical. Maybe a more office-based role with site visits would suit better, but does this exist?

If the answer to the above is a yes (a suitable arb career is possible) where would you suggest to train? I live in SW London.

Many thanks 

Nick

Merrist Wood in Guildford would be your best bet.

No, not too late but factor in the wage dip as a trainee again.

Do a distance learning course after getting your practical qualifications that will gear you for the second half of your career as perhaps a consultant doing surveys or tree officer for local authority.

Before you start to spend money on courses I’d try and get some days labouring with a firm to see if your back stands up to it. Courses are expensive and you could easily spend upwards of £2500 getting your tickets and then finding out your back won’t tolerate the work. I worked with a guy last year who spent £4000 on courses and lasted 6 months.

You can get come work with a firm without having the tickets under the supervision of qualified guys, if it is for you then you could go down the routes of getting your CS30, 31 etc.

If the practical side isn’t for you then you could always do the theoretical qualifications and go down the route of tree inspector/tree officer, although IMO the best inspectors and TO’s are often climbers who’ve been there and done it. However that way you will still be out and about looking at trees etc.

The thing with Arb is there are many different avenues to take and with the skill/employee shortage that there is probably a good time to get into it. Age may play a part but if you are physically fit like you say then I work with people in their 40’s who make lads half their age look silly.

A guy who used to be on here gave me a few days years ago when I started out so you just need a break. I may have an old used pair of leggings (size small) if you need some let me know to save you spending lots of money before deciding if it is for you. Good luck

• Like 4

IMHO if you want to be able to pick and choose whether you are up a tree or in an office then you'll need a head for business and employing people.

Why not start gardening again and do some trees as they come along?

As for an employee shortage- it's temporary. Only a few short years ago this site was full of posts bemoaning low wages and colleges churning out 'qualified' kids. A year of free money pumped into the economy and Mr and Mrs Miggins spending like crazy on their trees comes along and it's all forgotten. Doesn't mean it's likely to last. Be diverse if you are giving up the security of a full time job.

IMHO if you want to be able to pick and choose whether you are up a tree or in an office then you'll need a head for business and employing people.

Why not start gardening again and do some trees as they come along?

As for an employee shortage- it's temporary. Only a few short years ago this site was full of posts bemoaning low wages and colleges churning out 'qualified' kids. A year of free money pumped into the economy and Mr and Mrs Miggins spending like crazy on their trees comes along and it's all forgotten. Doesn't mean it's likely to last. Be diverse if you are giving up the security of a full time job.

That’s true, however in some areas such as Kent there is a big shortage of staff and there has been for many years now. This is partly due to the fact that one local college isn’t offering Arb so the local guys aren’t going through the college, instead they are choosing other avenues. Some don’t want to do into arb as let’s be honest it’s hard work and the money Vs other trades isn’t great. Also with the introduction of cheap finance it means that people can set up on their own easily now and not have to stay employed. However the big contractors who do larger contracts can’t get staff, it has been this way for a long period of time. Will this change if and when the domestic market slows up, maybe but we’ve been saying this for years now and it hasn’t slowed up. I think the smaller one man bands may struggle and it may force some of these and the freelance guys to go back to the larger contractors like G&T, City Sub etc. This is just my view speaking with others in the area. A lot depends on where you are located, think the OP is in London which will always be buoyant.

Maybe this is temporary in arb but there is a general labour shortage across several industries. The other factor cited is Brexit, however I remember in the food industry the discussion has been about upcoming labour shortage because of rising wages in Poland for more than 5 years. Brexit I think tipped the balance for many but not the only cause.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JaySmith said:

Thanks for your collective thoughts on this. It's much appreciated. If being honest to myself, whilst something I would love, in reality being a working tree surgeon just isn't going to work. I would however like to work in the arb industry, so maybe it's possible to study to become an arb consultant/officer following training? I appreciate that it ideally makes sense to go into these areas  once trained as an arborist but due to my longterm health, this isn't really an option..  Yes the money in arb isn't wonderful but I can make it work out.   

If you've any further thoughts on the above, please say. Many thanks again 

12 minutes ago, N84 said:

If you've any further thoughts on the above, please say. Many thanks again 

Nothing to stop you going into a technical role from a standing start but it won’t be as easy as somebody coming off the tools such as a climber or team leader who will have years of knowledge. The path I would take would be to do your Level 2 in Arb, this can be done online or via set days at college. This could take between six months and a year and will cover the basics of tree biology, risk management, soils, species selection etc. I’d be doing other reading in the background, absorbing as much info as possible. Start to learn about visual tree inspection and how and what it is. A one day tree inspection course would help but you will want to go into it with some basic knowledge to get the most out of it. 

The Level 2 could get you in at an LA or a junior surveyor role in a private firm. The pay won’t be great but will show you have commitment and get in the door. After this you would need to look at Level 4 in Arb and maybe PTI once you have the experience. If you get in at an LA they may pay towards these. I know of one LA (too far from you) that is paying for candidates to do L2 and L4 because of the shortage of staff. 

Personally I think it will be hard to start from scratch and get into a technical role, but not unachievable. A lot of guys go into tree officer or consultancy roles when they can’t or don’t want to climb anymore, they then have years of transferable skills. If you have the appetite for learning and are prepared to work hard then anything is possible. Ask plenty of questions on here as there is a wealth of knowledge.  Best of luck