Towing with an Auto. Does anyone?

Bob_z_l

I have a Hilix with an auto gear box.  I live in Norway and as the rumour goes, it does snow and get cold here.

I tow chippers and trailers with a tracked chipper on quite a fair bit.  The only problem I’ve had was losing it on sheet ice one day, trying to get up a long incline.  Ended up about 40 metres back down the hill, jackknifed and the trailer/chipper combo down an embankment and the hilix stuck in a snow bank.

Going down hill, either click the gearbox into semi and keep to 1 or 2 gear.  Or even easier hit the DAC button (Downhill Assist Control) and let the engine do the work for you.

4347B7C1-C43B-48CA-B22F-40C7C21D2A08.thumb.jpeg.14d9b0404fde518ca8f5e1e0807ab6f9.jpeg

I don’t think auto or manual would of made much difference there eh …. Glad to see although it must have been a bum clenching moment and a pain to sort nothing looked too damaged. Hopefully you were towed out without a problem.

Can’t remember the name of the program but there used to be a series following the recovery trucks is snowy Norway.
Was pretty good viewing.
  • Thanks 1

You don’t fancy going fully electric?

57A2098A-D49C-4CA8-93C8-F6EE9AFDB294.thumb.jpeg.a1d760cb532bfae24d00d26e8745cbc7.jpeg

Looks smart for sure. I’ll not change my hilux until a fully electric one is available.
That’s a good looking pickup. Is it a concept or something heading towards production ?

1 hour ago, lux said:

I don’t think auto or manual would of made much difference there eh …. Glad to see although it must have been a bum clenching moment and a pain to sort nothing looked too damaged. Hopefully you were towed out without a problem.

Can’t remember the name of the program but there used to be a series following the recovery trucks is snowy Norway.
Was pretty good viewing.

The whole thing was quite surreal, slow motion unfolding type event.

We got it sorted no problem and zero damage to trailer, chipper and truck.

Could have been so much worse.

Tried initially to get it out with my mates ranger then after no joy.  We tracked the chipper off using the winch for support.  Pulled the trailer out no worries after that.

We we’re back felling and winching trees 45 mins later.

• Like 2

Mine arrives next Thursday, here it is in the garage getting its PDI. 
Six Speed auto, with paddle shift when heavy towing. 
Getting excited!

I can honestly say my knees gave way a bit when I first saw it. 

42A8A34B-9E4D-4A21-98B0-FF9F11AD40CA.jpeg

FC8EAEC6-A12E-4A5D-8791-24DD3EDFB377.jpeg

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 7

The only 2 stories i have about autos and going downhill are probably more due to bad drivers.

The 1st 1 i was in queenstown in NZ, drinking with some mates and 1 who is a scottish mechanic living out there now.

He stopped some backpackers 1 day in a wee auto hire car, that area of NZ has some very steep and long hills, said u could smell and almost see the brakes glowing as they were coming down hill.

In those days u just had a 1st and 2nd gear on an auto

The second would be the 2 winters of heavy snow and -10 temps ( think in about 10-11ish) i was out working my dogs most days on a big fancy shoot as frozen off work.

Just typical small windy single track country roads up and down hills, they were like a sheet of glass.

Quite often the guns would want to take their own 4x4s, but often ur fancy mercs and bmw's with road tyres, they usually had to crawl back by 11's to get a proper 4x4.

But just same again  no engine braking coming down a hill touching brakes and going skating

I have a Hilix with an auto gear box.  I live in Norway and as the rumour goes, it does snow and get cold here.

I tow chippers and trailers with a tracked chipper on quite a fair bit.  The only problem I’ve had was losing it on sheet ice one day, trying to get up a long incline.  Ended up about 40 metres back down the hill, jackknifed and the trailer/chipper combo down an embankment and the hilix stuck in a snow bank.

Going down hill, either click the gearbox into semi and keep to 1 or 2 gear.  Or even easier hit the DAC button (Downhill Assist Control) and let the engine do the work for you.

4347B7C1-C43B-48CA-B22F-40C7C21D2A08.thumb.jpeg.14d9b0404fde518ca8f5e1e0807ab6f9.jpeg
Looks like you might have just got away with that with only minor damage Rich, did you?