Knocking a house down

peds

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It may have been mentioned before, is it possible to remove the trees behind to get a view of whatever the mountain is behind?

Are they your trees?

They are our trees, and they have more value than another view of the mountain. Nice trees are rare enough out here, nice views aren't. 

You can pull on your wellies and hop the back fence, in 30 minutes you can be up on top of the mountain. That's a better view to enjoy.

There's also a different view 45degrees to the right as well, after the removal of a big ash with dieback, which is less of a shame.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Poor cottage.

20220713_154751.thumb.jpg.c0d93a6e618899c52dacc48b8da80fa3.jpg

75 euro of scrap metal in the roof and pipes. Big pile of stone stacked up in a corner for landscaping. Spare soil spread out over the future growspace, lots of mineral-rich dab. I'll scatter some green manure seeds over it a little later in the year, and the polytunnels can go up next spring.

20220714_171615.thumb.jpg.88e4aac9901c1cb2907870c431f79116.jpg

With most of the lumps ironed out, we decided to camp out among the stones and bones of the old building. 

20220716_200142.thumb.jpg.30ffd8583f84061ebf3a8e54d5476138.jpg

A few decent bits of wood from the roof were saved from destruction. Some newer lengths, still with a practical application in the shipping container shed roof, and some ancient pieces that just spoke to me. Square nails, that sort of thing. They might end up as garden paperweights, or they might find some noble purpose in the future. 

20220717_135341.thumb.jpg.e9d22471369ebd40ba110650e7921d72.jpg

20220717_141449.thumb.jpg.80fd8d321afa20ffae3f3564ac53e1cc.jpg

Managed to nudge a shipping container 5 metres to the left (the delivery crane couldn't reach the intended location, the digger helped out), and dropped a layer of stone between the two. Just need to get a roof over them and a smooth floor, and it'll be a decent space.

20220718_160923.thumb.jpg.38e0d950e7fff57e6a8fb82fa078dece.jpg

And now, with 360 tons of stone down and another 100 or so coming tomorrow, we can almost start thinking about getting the raft out.

20220719_112315.thumb.jpg.bd6404184a45eadf925be1e17640ae2a.jpg

Long days at the moment, working 7-3 and heading straight to the site when I'm done, and spending the whole day here on my days off. But I suppose I can rest when the roof is on it.

• Like 10

• 5 months later...

Aware you're probably busy with the build (not to mention all the dogging, transgender gimp keeping, vegancentric, sex-positive fruit sports and similar degenerative pursuits) but I indeed would love to see more on this thread.

• Like 2

On 11/01/2023 at 23:30, AHPP said:

Aware you're probably busy with the build (not to mention all the dogging, transgender gimp keeping, vegancentric, sex-positive fruit sports and similar degenerative pursuits) but I indeed would love to see more on this thread.

Hey, I resent that. I'm not a vegan, I'm plant-based. I'll try and backdate a few updates though, cheers.

On 11/01/2023 at 23:54, waterbuoy said:

I've just read the whole thread from start to finish and can only begin to imagine how exciting it mst be to see the new house taking shape.

Only question at this time - will you be reinstating the 'time capsule' in the attic?!

That's not a bad idea actually, I will indeed stick it right back up in the attic, safe and sound in a quiet corner. It could be the spirit of the house.

20230116_113814.thumb.jpg.495f1266d4e65d555930ea77473eafe1.jpg

Well, here's a quick question for you all to consider, while I'm sat here watching no work being done... what happens when the two guys who have been putting your house together for the last month stop showing up because their employer hasn't paid them?

Head office won't pay travel costs because the work is "local" to them... after a 150km drive...

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, GarethM said:

They aren't driving 300km a day tho ?

Yep, the fitters are. The company base is 30 minutes up the road, but the fitters employed for this job are way up the other end of the country, a 2 hour drive away, both ways, every day. I'd be asking for petrol money for that one.

19 minutes ago, GarethM said:

I have to ask, wtf is a sex positive fruit sport ?,

Dunno but it sounds incredible, I'd love to get involved. 

Edited by peds

Even saying 4 hours of driving each day sounds like a I'm not doing the job deal.

I've done similar travelling jobs in the past, they usually had a mileage or driving time cut off. I'd be tempted to ask for a local B&B as it's a business expense.

Fruit sport referee, looser gets a bonus round with a wrong way round pineapple?.

5 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Even saying 4 hours of driving each day sounds like a I'm not doing the job deal.

I've done similar travelling jobs in the past, they usually had a mileage or driving time cut off. I'd be tempted to ask for a local B&B as it's a business expense.

It's between them and their boss of course, but it's fairly standard for trades of that nature to travel a fair bit wherever the work takes them. The guy I have coming to do the roof is a similar drive as well, he's worked it into his quote I'm sure.

We offered them an apartment for them free of charge during that big freeze back in December, didn't get their head office involved just offered it to them straight up.

My beef is definitely with the office here, not the fitters. Might go and camp out on their lawn, see what turns up.