Russia Invades ukraine

topchippyles

6 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Small beer !!!!, you any idea of the total number of military and civilian deaths that occurred during conflicts or subsequent chaos thst those two are responsible for??. 

my point is more about the utter hypocrisy of the MSM and politicians etc than whom is the bigger C**T out of them all. You will have the argument to yourself bud on this one I can’t be arsed to go down the well worn forum bickering route on this occasion. I’ll not bother putting up the figures for Afghanistan. 

You really seem to take issue with anyone that puts up a counter point to something you have

I said small beer compared with. Any figures you put up are meaningless without some analysis.  My slant was really twofold. 

Calling for war crimes prosecutions for Putin has zero relationship to whether the same should be said for the other you mention.

Second is that if you are going to lay all violent deaths at the door of who happened to be in power when the fighting started then you'd be pretty much putting every head of state and their govts behind bars.

If people don't want the consequences of warfare then vote for a party that won't get involved. We elect them (or choose to live in their states) so we have to share some of that responsibility.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

You really seem to take issue with anyone that puts up a counter point to something you have

I said small beer compared with. Any figures you put up are meaningless without some analysis.  My slant was really twofold. 

Calling for war crimes prosecutions for Putin has zero relationship to whether the same should be said for the other you mention.

Second is that if you are going to lay all violent deaths at the door of who happened to be in power when the fighting started then you'd be pretty much putting every head of state and their govts behind bars.

If people don't want the consequences of warfare then vote for a party that won't get involved. We elect them (or choose to live in their states) so we have to share some of that responsibility.

Utter rubbish, in particular the collective responsibility tripe.

Edited by Johnsond
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

That would be, er, because it does (violate GC) and a reasonably informed professional journalist is reporting an honestly held opinion. 

It is just as much a contravention to mistreat prisoners of war as it is to intentionally target civilians. 

Or maybe you’re right huh, the conspiracy got twisted. 

You could be right Kevin or the story was written by a journalist who represents the interests of a massive US global investment company who is currently losing billions via Russian sanctions. Hence the emphasis on Ukrainian war crimes. 

3A53C360-A5A6-44E7-B892-B5E67CE294D8.jpeg.8e16ba1501494b0ce182a4f209be87b5.jpeg

Blackrock's chief exec Larry Fink (pictured) has done little to condemn the invasion...

‘But the asset manager is in line to receive a £62million dividend from London-listed Polymetal, the Russian mining company set up by Putin crony Alexander Nesis.

Blackrock, the second-largest shareholder behind Nesis, whose brother is the chief executive, last week increased its investment in the company.

The US asset manager has a stake in many of the world’s largest firms, including Russian titans Gazprom and Rosneft.’

18 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Putin places RUSSIA under martial law over Ukraine invasion public protests. 

That’s not good.....

Such a move would allow the Kremlin to announce general mobilisation, tighten censorship, shut the borders and...

Ever since 2008, following finance has been a hobby of mine. Only occassionally investing though.

Rather than post a link to support yours quoting some dry economist saying what and how sanctions effect both parties in this war, we don't need to go far.

Just got to like at the no fly zone map a few pages back. A country with no movement across or within its borders is like a dessert. Finance, like the trade winds or migatory birds, has to continually move to be viable. Brokers call it churn which means everything from petro-dollars to the horde of cash under your nan's bed has to be buying and selling i.e. working, if it is to keep up with market forces, inflation, etc.

When the Russian banks were cut off from the rest of the world, when their assets were frozen, when the russian ruble couldn't trade on the currency markets, when all the mutually interdependent deals that make up Global Capitalism ceased dealing with Russia, that's when journalists start projecting consequences.

"Trouble at mill" as they used to say where I come from.

Yes, we've got to start thinking about the people on the streets. That's why Putin may have to use his troops against his own people. How that gets explained is anyone's choice but, as our ex-servicemen brothers-in-law here on Arbtalk keep saying, our sympathies should start with ours and our own.

• Like 3

On 04/03/2022 at 11:45, difflock said:

Hard to tell the sand from the custard at times.

Wife was laughing yesterday - she’d seen a ‘headline’ online somewhere:

”.... Russian drone downed by jar of pickled cucumbers thrown by 70 year Grandma....”

I really don’t care if it is true or utter cobblers - for me, it nicely sums up what (I think) of the situation 😂

(I did it - I searched Russian drone downed by pickled cucumber. Never thought I’d say that!)

While the west baulks at a no fly zone over Ukraine, a woman in Kyiv is said to have taken out a drone with a jar of...

Of course it could all be info Ops, if it is - good, it’s working. 

Ukraine is dominating social media and Russia is imposing martial law and shutting down the internet. 

As info Ops goes, it don’t get much better than that....

Ukraine has succeeded in dominating social media in the first days since the Russian invasion, in an intensifying...

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 1