Russia Invades ukraine

topchippyles

1 minute ago, peds said:

Here he is meeting two terrified-looking uniforms the other day, when announcing the recent nuclear escalation. 

860x394.jpg

Says a lot, really. 

I find it hard to believe that the Generals where not briefed prior to this meeting. I’d be inclined to believe this is just a show for the cameras.

And yes the Generals might look awkward, they have the whole world watching their every twitch and eye blink and having so called experts then “read” their responses like some old lady reading tea leaves. 

Others have commented on the distance between himself and the Generals as if he was scared of them harming him in some way. If that was the case then the same could be said when he met the French Granny Shagger the other week. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Deranged is the word that I keep hearing.

I heard an interview on the wireless today, with some guy who's known him for years and years, an ex-colleague, politician or KGB officer or something. I was only half listening but one of the questions was "has he always been like this", (mentally unstable, unpredictable etc)? The answer was "no, he is evolving", rapidly corrected to "devolving", towards insanity.

Another question was something like;- well won't others within govnt or the system stop him going too far, with nuclear weapons for instance? "No, you don't understand, there is no-one else. He is the only one, everyone else in Russia does exactly as he says, or gets removed to prison or worse.

Lovely. Something for us all to look forward to.

Was it this guy ?

Clown world... Facebook allows users to praise Neo-Nazi thugs now, but only while they're defending their territory, and only if you don't praise them too much....

THEINTERCEPT.COM

The reversal raises questions about Facebook’s blacklist-based...

• Thanks 1

I do not know if anyone here on Arbtalk has been to the Ukraine, but in 1993 a friend of mine and I decided to go with no reservations and landed in Kiev.   My friend's wife had just died and I thought he needed to have a holiday which might test us a bit.  He in London and me in Lincolnshire opened our World atlases and decided that Ukraine looked interesting as it had just come out of Communism.

We told the taxi driver at the Kiev airport to take us to a good hotel, but the people working there were still very much under the influence of the communist regime.  When I asked for a room, "We have no rooms"  I pointed out that the place seemed to be deserted "We have no rooms"    I told her to call the manager.  He appeared and said " We have no rooms"  I told him to show me.  "Ok we have a room"    how much would that be.    "50 dollars"  (everything was dollars as the currency had collapsed.   I exclaimed "50 dollars!"    "Ok 25"   What are you talking about?  "ok 10"  I think that we settled on five.

Unpacked in our room and decided to explore the seemingly deserted hotel.  Went down to the bar in the basement with nobody there apart from the barman.  Had a beer 50 cents noticed that a bottle of champagne was 3 dollars but decided to retire to our room.

As we approached the door we heard all this noise from the top floor as though a party was going on, went up there and there was another large bar with gorgeous girls and a great atmosphere.  The same beer as the other bar was now 6 dollars and the same bottle of champagne was 130 dollars.

Sat down on a table with an American and Greek who were on business somewhere else but their plane had run out of fuel so they had to put down in Kiev.  The whole country had run out of fuel, so no trains or taxis.

Anyway there were four gorgeous girls on the next table and one turned to me and asked for a light.  But it was not the big eye nudge nudge, she just turned away and i Kept on drinking with our new friends.  Some time later I found myself talking to her again, she was very well spoken, educated, and asking me what I did and where I came from, Standard stuff and I was boring her about chainsaws and tree felling  (not really!) but just having a normal chat and in the middle of it she suddenly said "If you want to sleep with me tonight it will cost 100 dollars!"

Well I declined in the nicest possible way as I felt very sorry that someone like that felt that they had to go that low.  Instead of hurling an insult at me or slapping my face she just kissed me on the cheek and turned away and I never saw her again.

There definitely were real prostitutes and their minders in the bar but these girls were not amongst them

The next day we took a river boat down the Dnepr river past all those towns I am seeing being bombed on the news.  We stopped in several places and saw Cossack displays and  a lot of the culture ending up at Odessa,  There we took another boat across the Black Sea to the Crimea and Sebastopol where we were hoping to go to see the Valley of Death and read Tennyson's Charge of the Light Brigade on the battlefield.  Unfortunately at the time it was a military training ground and public access was denied

But I fell in love with Ukraine, I admired the people apart from those in the first hotel who were probably Russian!

The women are really beautiful and are a wonderful blend of East meeting West and the Middle East.  Everyone was very friendly and my heart goes out to them now.

I will see if I can put some of my old analogue video onto Youtube of the wonderful Cossack display

• Like 17

1 hour ago, peds said:

Here he is meeting two terrified-looking uniforms the other day, when announcing the recent nuclear escalation. 

860x394.jpg

Says a lot, really. 

One politician who has aspired to be president here in the US recently called this scene a "White mausoleum, where honor and honesty go the die" 

• Like 2