No heat

I take it u've emptied the ash pan/grate?

Or chimney needing swept?

Just thinking if not the logs possibly not getting air?

For all u say same batch of logs do they all look and feel similar, ie not 2 batches mixed in ur bag or some dry 1's on top of some wet?

Or rain hasn't got to ur timber pile?

4 hours ago, L05tB0y said:

Yes but it's been working fine for weeks with the same batch of logs, but last night I just couldn't  seem to get any heat from it. I had the vents open and their still wasn't  too much heat.

They may be the same batch of logs but that doesn't mean they are similar.  I bet the fire that was so disappointing was with mainly oak that is not properly seasoned, and the earlier logs were other species which dry more easily.  Oak logs you see take a very long time to dry, and if not properly dried will be worse than useless.  You need to split a log and see what it looks like inside. 

If you have an accurate set of scales split a log, and split it again so you get a sliver from the middle of the log.  Weigh it, put it in a hot oven for an hour or two and then weigh it again.  Really wet timber will drop dramatically in weight.  Fairly dry timber will not change much.

Self installed 5kW Morso, my own produced conifer firewood, no stove thermostat, draught on minimum/zero, but easily and quickly boils a kettle, and requires firing restraint to prevent overheating of about 800 sq ft.
It should be that simple, if the wood is dry.

IMG_1645732018.158049.jpg

37 sq M floor with high ceilings and this little Arrow keeps us too warm at times
  • Like 4

On 23/02/2022 at 20:47, L05tB0y said:

Same batch I've been using out my shed

Did you cut and split them straight to the shed? if so the logs on top of the pile would have burned maybe OK'ish from that batch but the ones at the bottom of the pile will be nowhere near dry enough as they need wind and sun or a good few years drying in a shed

Just test with a couple of bags of kiln dried hardwood Aldi/Tesco/Home bargains all do them bone dry for £4 to £5 quid a bag to see any difference to heat output hope this helps and good luck!

• Like 1

Firstly I'd agree with 'no heat means damp wood'. But.... Your flue thermometer looks to be near a corner of the stove top and up into the normal range despite being in probably a cool spot, plus they are cheap and not and always accurate.  I've some of that same brand and they actually started out ok but now under read considerably.  An IR thermometer is not much more and they seem to be better 

On 01/03/2022 at 13:25, neiln said:

Firstly I'd agree with 'no heat means damp wood'. But.... Your flue thermometer looks to be near a corner of the stove top and up into the normal range despite being in probably a cool spot, plus they are cheap and not and always accurate.  I've some of that same brand and they actually started out ok but now under read considerably.  An IR thermometer is not much more and they seem to be better 

Not just you I am disagreeing with slightly... but the OP says the fire is running cool at the moment, no amount of tech or where it is placed will stop my other half prodding me in the side and telling me the house is cold, I reckon we can all tell if the fire isn't putting out the same heat as usual.

So look to the fuel, damper logs might be the cause, depends where they are stored - my outside logs are wet but it has been raining since winter started (it is always raining in winter in Scotland... if the logs aren't in by October, they are next years). If they are in an outside log store, similarly they might be wet, could be they getting lower down the pile and that is where the rain gets blown - near the top they are protected by the roof (and we just had a couple of storms too). Could be a different species of wood too, different ones take different times to dry, if you are anything like me I'll get one type this week and split it, the next type I pick up will be different and in the wood pile these are in layers as they are split (currently Scots Pine layer).

Then look to the stove itself, wood burners don't need emptying as often as burning coal but might need a clean, also take the baffle plate out and dust that down... and while you are there feel around the chimney see how much soot is there, if you think it is a lot time to get the chimney swept (though shouldn't make a huge difference, that is more a precaution against chimney fires). Also a quick check on the rope seal - shouldn't be much affect but while you are doing a mini service, why not.

I will assume you are doing nothing different with how you fire the stove, logs on when it looks the same, same settings with the vents (silly check by the way that no nuts have fallen off and they the vents are opening and closing as they should).

This could be a lack of pull up the chimney,  or down drafts causing a lack of pull,  or wet wood, or lumps of wood cut to large.  Load at least 2 in the firebox, ideally 3, as the fire needs turbulence.

If the wood is Ok ( and that is the cause in 95% of the situations) then pull the baffle plate out and sweep the chimney,  if all is OK go and buy a pack of kiln dried Birch and try that.

A

• Like 1