Why am I so disgusted at the Charity Commission investigating Capt. Toms charity

difflock

I worked as a same-day courier when I was 18/19 (owner driver). One time I had a job to collect a "full van load" from a Save The Children office in Bristol and deliver to a hotel in London asap. I arrived, a woman pointed out the load - 3 rolled-up posters, a laptop bag and a folding display stand - and said she would personally meet me at the delivery point. As I was loading the van she climbed into a very new Audi estate.

This job, like most of my jobs, was subbed to me. The larger the client the more companies involved, all making a tidy profit.

I charged something like £140, so by the time the three or four companies who passed down the work added on their commission, this 2.5 hour journey might have cost the charity four or five hundred, possibly more; all paid with £2 per month donations from the naive public. The load would easily have fit into the boot of her car, if she could be bothered.

NHS, BBC, and charities were by far the most unnecessarily wasteful I worked for, with decisions made by feckless, incompetant administrators who knew there was no accountability - no matter what they did their jobs were secure.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Back in 2000 I knew a girl who went onto work for the UN.

She ended up being involved in de-mining projects in Africa.She was put in charge of purchasing some heavy equipment and didnt know a bulldozer from a low loader.Once she seriously asked me if I knew where she might source 12 Komatsu Dozers from in the UK because she felt that the price given by the usual supplier was "a bit high".

The price was $200,000 USD per unit for used D61's.The same tractor could be bought in the states for about $40K.

I asked her how they planned to move them from the port in Mosambik to the area's they were needed .

"Oh I dont know,I guess they will drive them".

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

Back in 2000 I knew a girl who went onto work for the UN.

She ended up being involved in de-mining projects in Africa.She was put in charge of purchasing some heavy equipment and didnt know a bulldozer from a low loader.Once she seriously asked me if I knew where she might source 12 Komatsu Dozers from in the UK because she felt that the price given by the usual supplier was "a bit high".

The price was $200,000 USD per unit for used D61's.The same tractor could be bought in the states for about $40K.

I asked her how they planned to move them from the port in Mosambik to the area's they were needed .

"Oh I dont know,I guess they will drive them".

Yeah.....

You ‘could’ laugh, but it’s clown stories like that which seem to prevail in the NGO, Quango, civil service and charity sectors....

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Yeah.....

You ‘could’ laugh, but it’s clown stories like that which seem to prevail in the NGO, Quango, civil service and charity sectors....

I remember being in Basra in 2005 and being told we were probably going to have to start washing with water out of jerry cans because the water used for the one shower block was going to be used to fill the FCO's new hardened swimming pool.

We didn't in the end so I guess that idea was kicked into touch.

• Like 2

Talking of clown shows... The Clinton Foundation were given the task of rebuilding Haiti after the Earthquake in 2010. They were still sending blankets and tents there in 2015..... nothing to do with Bill and Hillary’s friends securing the contracts to do the rebuild and all the money going ‘walkies’ of course....

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

I remember being in Basra in 2005 and being told we were probably going to have to start washing with water out of jerry cans because the water used for the one shower block was going to be used to fill the FCO's new hardened swimming pool.

We didn't in the end so I guess that idea was kicked into touch.

I was in Umm Qasr 2004/05. Had to go to Baghdad MNSTC-I HQ at Saddam’s Palace monthly for business. 

Swam in Saddam’s pool on my birthday ‘04! Quite a surreal experience going from MRE to a massive DeFac with what struck us as banqueting fit for a king. 

Truly bizarre and surreal days for sure. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I was in Umm Qasr 2004/05. Had to go to Baghdad MNSTC-I HQ at Saddam’s Palace monthly for business. 

Swam in Saddam’s pool on my birthday ‘04! Quite a surreal experience going from MRE to a massive DeFac with what struck us as banqueting fit for a king. 

Truly bizarre and surreal days for sure. 

Ha yep they were interesting times certainly

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tilio-acerion said:

Some codwood on the go here 🐟🧐 

No one appears to have been in charge at Black Lives Matter for months. The address it lists on tax...

It’s a bit like Rhodesia....

From bread basket to basket case....

• Like 1