Why am I so disgusted at the Charity Commission investigating Capt. Toms charity

difflock

There must be / are good ‘uns Ti. 

I suspect you could speak with some authority on the subject. 

It’s the trouble with bad apples adversely affecting the whole barrel (if that’s not too many metaphors [emoji23])

There are indeed plenty of good ones out there Kev.
There are scales and metrics available to grade a charity’s ‘social value’ with varying degrees of accuracy.
A good way of checking is to simply track how much of the bottom line gets spent on the end user/beneficiary compared to how much is spent on ‘governance’.

It’s very true are also some serious ‘rotten apples’ out there.

But not all are bad.
  • Like 3

There are some good charities. As has been said above, if you want to give, do your homework. 

We've had an extremely fortunate existence, born into comfortable homes, with parents encouraging education. Never short of food, clothes or toys. We've also travelled to some "developing countries" and seen the plight of kids with considerably less in the way of privilege. With that in mind, (and I don't give a toss about charity beginning at home where kids are involved, or adults for that matter, but especially kids) we decided to sponsor an orphan in one of these countries. It didn't take a lot of digging to find out which of around the three charities at the time had most of it's bottom line going to the kids. It was around 90% as I recall. 

We sponsored a child, chosen at random for us in Vietnam. He lives in an SOS village in Ho Chi Minh city. 

We receive letters several times a year with photos of him. 

Three years ago, we visited him whilst on holiday there and were so impressed with the work of this charity, we decided to sponsor another. 

Only covid has prevented us from going back to visit again. 

There are lots of reasons not to give to charity, chuggers being high on my list. But if you want to, you find a way. 

• Like 10

10 hours ago, daveatdave said:

all the local charity shops on the high street have a paid manager and the shops do not pay rates the rest of the shops have to pay a bit extra to cover them 

where dos the likes of bob Geldof get his money from don't think its from his music     

I thought charity shops paid 15% of the normal rates and of course it is also their landlords that benefit also, else they would be liable for the full rate on an empty shop, can't answer the rest.

• Thanks 1

I've been dismayed at how much of a donation goes to just about any charity, that is why I only give to a very select few charities! That, and I think so many of them milk the system and rely on the good nature of those volunteers who give their time freely! Folk on the ground floor are generally seriously under cared for while those auditors and senior managers don't do enough yet get well remunerated! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I thought charity shops paid 15% of the normal rates and of course it is also their landlords that benefit also, else they would be liable for the full rate on an empty shop, can't answer the rest.

you might be right about the 15% but its a big saving 

I have worked for 2 charities, Volunteered for 2 others and have benefitted from 2. I have mixed opinions. The 2 i worked for i got just over minimum wage. Giving advice to people with spinal cord injury. I felt i earned every penny i received as few of the people i spoke to would have ever thought there could be a job waiting for them when discharged let alone a manual job like mine. I did wonder at times how the managers could justify the salaries they got. I have received help towards the cost of 2 different light weight wheelchair with mountain bike wheels and tyres. One from perennial that supports people from the horticultural trades and one from BLESMA the British limbless ex-servicemen's association and i volunteer at the National Memorial Association. Just understand that most charities need paid staff to work well but do research how much goes in wages and how many staff actually are for services provided and how many are managers who are there just earning a wage better than they could get elsewhere

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1