Filling cracks with epoxy resin

Gavmar

59 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

Tip for you. Go all around the edges of the cracks with a snake of plasticine before you pour epoxy. It keeps it in like a dam. Or use some silicone sealant to do the same job.stops those falls happening in the fist place. Just overfill using the barrier and it will sink back into the gap as it moves.

Great idea. I will be doing that tomorrow.

Thanks. It is going to be a little side table beside the sofa for coffee cups.

Had a look on line and they were ridiculous prices.

The slab, legs, epoxy and Rubio monocoat oil 2c plus came to a total of £120 I think they were going for around £350 to £450.
I need to do something similar. I currently have a void beside the sofa where I need to put cups or glasses.

Great looking slab of walnut too.

3 hours ago, Gavmar said:

Great idea. I will be doing that tomorrow.

Also put a bit of heat on it. A blowtorch or heat gun. Just for a few seconds it will bring any air bubbles to the top helping it fill but mainly for getting rid of the bubbles. Which are either a pain or impossible to remove depending how deep they are.

Hi I have done quite a bit of resin work and if it was me I would take a sharp chisel to that resin on the top to expose the crack again ,we were having a hard time filling cracks on a heap of coasters we made and we phoned Easy Composites and they advised a thinner viscosity resin but cant remember what one we also use a 2ml syringe to inject the resin into cracks works real well ,good luck and do post some pics of the finished slab.

Cheers. Mark

13 hours ago, Richard 1234 said:

Also put a bit of heat on it. A blowtorch or heat gun. Just for a few seconds it will bring any air bubbles to the top helping it fill but mainly for getting rid of the bubbles. Which are either a pain or impossible to remove depending how deep they are.

I am using a heat gun have not had any problems so far with bubbles

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi I have done quite a bit of resin work and if it was me I would take a sharp chisel to that resin on the top to expose the crack again ,we were having a hard time filling cracks on a heap of coasters we made and we phoned Easy Composites and they advised a thinner viscosity resin but cant remember what one we also use a 2ml syringe to inject the resin into cracks works real well ,good luck and do post some pics of the finished slab.

Cheers. Mark

I ended up sanding it down and making a little moat around the cracks as close to the edge as possible with some w4 caravan mastic bit like blutac and just refilled it give it a few blasts with the heat gun hopefully that will do it.

I have been using one of those little plastic droppers that come with a kit of cups and stirrers they work well but a syringe would work better.
i will post some pics when there done.

2 hours ago, Gavmar said:

I ended up sanding it down and making a little moat around the cracks as close to the edge as possible with some w4 caravan mastic bit like blutac and just refilled it give it a few blasts with the heat gun hopefully that will do it.

I have been using one of those little plastic droppers that come with a kit of cups and stirrers they work well but a syringe would work better.
i will post some pics when there done.

Plastic scrapers are good at filling crack as well if just doing the last little bits or even a first fill. Scrape the epoxy all over the cracks a good few times. Loads of ways of doing it.

I spend half my working week or more on fibreglass and carbon fibre etc. epoxy takes some getting used to compared to poly.

55 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

Plastic scrapers are good at filling crack as well if just doing the last little bits or even a first fill. Scrape the epoxy all over the cracks a good few times. Loads of ways of doing it.

I spend half my working week or more on fibreglass and carbon fibre etc. epoxy takes some getting used to compared to poly.

It is a nightmare it has taken 8 days to fill 6 holes top and bottom, taking 2 days to dry each fill, I have it in a carport, not warm.