Climbing a "leaner"

john87

2 hours ago, john87 said:

Go forward to the 7:30 mark.... If that chunk had landed on that rope... Then what...

john..

You are a little out of your league in understanding the skill levels achievable and required to complete some of the more challenging work in this industry. It’s not just testicular fortitude that get a job done ( can help on occasion though)

how did your tree go?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete Mctree said:

You are a little out of your league in understanding the skill levels achievable and required to complete some of the more challenging work in this industry. It’s not just testicular fortitude that get a job done ( can help on occasion though)

how did your tree go?

Not done it yet. I was just contemplating doing it when i got corona virus.. I think it is fair to say i have not felt at my best for a while!!!

It is a weird thing, not like anything else i have had.. I did not realise at first, it seems like it is slow to develop, then one morning i had the altered taste thing. I did a test straight away [i have boxes of the things and it was positive.. That stage [the being infectious] is over now, but still got a cough and feel a bit strange.. Being 60 on wednesday does not help!

The tree is still there, albeit supported with a lorry strap and rachet to a tree neary to stop it falling over.. You see, wehen it was windy the other week, i looked one day and thought that i have never seen a tree waving in the wind down so far towards the base, that is when i noticed that the ground about 3 feet away from the tree was lifting about 2 inches in the gusts of wind!!

Will still be ok to climb supported the way it is, as what difference do i make to the tree compared to the force of the wind that was on it, the thing will barely notice me..

10 hours ago, john87 said:

Not done it yet. I was just contemplating doing it when i got corona virus.. I think it is fair to say i have not felt at my best for a while!!!

It is a weird thing, not like anything else i have had.. I did not realise at first, it seems like it is slow to develop, then one morning i had the altered taste thing. I did a test straight away [i have boxes of the things and it was positive.. That stage [the being infectious] is over now, but still got a cough and feel a bit strange.. Being 60 on wednesday does not help!

The tree is still there, albeit supported with a lorry strap and rachet to a tree neary to stop it falling over.. You see, wehen it was windy the other week, i looked one day and thought that i have never seen a tree waving in the wind down so far towards the base, that is when i noticed that the ground about 3 feet away from the tree was lifting about 2 inches in the gusts of wind!!

Will still be ok to climb supported the way it is, as what difference do i make to the tree compared to the force of the wind that was on it, the thing will barely notice me..

Set a rope in the canopy and test load it. Get a friend to hand off the rope as well, put a couple hundred kilos on it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Set a rope in the canopy and test load it. Get a friend to hand off the rope as well, put a couple hundred kilos on it.

I was thinking this... What you think.. Apart from my weight, there is also liable to be shock loading [sort of] as i bounce around on a rope if i fall of the tree [round to the back]. Anyway, lifting gear, all has a 5:1 safety factor. Funnily enough, i also have a 5:1 pulley block, so i was thinking of attaching that to my anchor point up in the tree and tieing it off at the base, and then, if i can safely put all or most of my weight on that, then i will be fine!!

There are loads of willow trees i have to prune as well. These things are not safe as large branches fall off all the time, so i was going to do the same thing with them too, make sure that what ever branch i am attached to does not decide to fall off taking me with it.. Better safe than sorry and all that..

john..

15 hours ago, john87 said:

Go forward to the 7:30 mark.... If that chunk had landed on that rope... Then what...

john..

he probably would of died!!!  but he,s spent a lifetime climbing some of the worlds biggest and sketchiest trees to become one of the top arborists in the world, so he didnt put in a bum cut!

that video blew my mind the first time  i saw it,  a blend of big balls and a lot of technical skill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Treerover said:

By jingo I think I’ve found your solution John…..IMG_4212.jpg

(Might need to allow for VAT and import but you won’t even have to leave the ground !)

Urrrrr, them things are MINGING!!!!!!

Why on earth would people want to buy termites???

john..

Anytime I’m having nerves or doubt, I watch this video!  It’s a back to basics big balls, big saw and a set of spikes. Get up it and get it done.  There no gadgets or shortcuts!  The humble legend that is Graham McMahon.

Yeah, completely agree and the soundtrack is just perfect.