Pricing up a beat up

I planted for a season, I always enjoyed beating up days because it was a more relaxed pace than new planting, but it was at absolutely feck all of a day rate, €85, whether you were replacing 50 or 500. Not worth it, except that I always had the dog with me and it was a chance to give him a nice long walk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vedhoggar said:

Beating up rate - depends on plant size, how much searching involved, ground conditions, if a flat site or or slope, access to site needs to be considered too and experience will of course influence output (takes about a planting season for someone to get up to speed). A skilled person might beat up something like 30 - 60 trees/hr on a reasonably flat site with reasonably good ground conditions, if not too much searching involved, if on a slope add maybe 10-15% to the price. If a local site you might do 7.5 hrs on site but if some distance from home it might be more like 6 hrs on site. You could walk the site and see how long it takes you to find the trees which have to be replaced and estimate how long it might take to plant a tree. You also want the correct type of planting spade for ground conditions or a planting mattock might be the best tool, especially if working on a slope. 

The site had a sheep incursion they reckon they lost 50% before the sheep were removed and the fencing repaired. It's been a clear fell five years ago but well raked. Still some awkward parcels of land, in particular a steep bank above an access road, in a kind of long finger above the site. I didn't think more than 40 an hour, so I guess I'll price on that basis?