Shou Sugi Ban

Tom D

1 hour ago, 5thelement said:

I felled some Larch for cladding a listed barn in East Sussex, an area designated as AONB, the planning officer insisted that the cladding be black. 
We chose to have a a go at Shou Sugi Ban and compare it against the staining options, it was far superior.

We used a gas torch to get the result/colour that the customer wanted, time consuming but pretty consistent, the planning officer who is notoriously difficult loved it especially as the Larch was also felled and milled within 500 metres of the barn.

If I had a large area to cover I would certainly look down the pre-burned by machine route though.

You sod!  We're looking to re-clad our boarded small house in East Sussex soon (once all the bat surveys and mitigation are arranged 🙄)  I thought plans were laid with Cedral or similar.  Now you mention this and Copford mill is less than 2 miles away...

I may now have to re-think  😂   

Edited by nepia

4 minutes ago, nepia said:

You sod!  We're looking to re-clad our boarded small house in East Sussex soon (once all the bat surveys and mitigation are arranged 🙄)  I thought plans were laid with Cedral or similar.  Now you mention this and Copford mill is less than 2 miles away...

I may now have to re-think  😂   

Copford sawmill are very good. I used them to supply vertical Larch cladding for a Summer house at my place a couple of years back. They usually have Larch, Douglas Fir and Western Red Cedar available and can now profile it in several ways.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom D said:

I have looked at that but.. its expensive and when I have a load of wood sitting there and the space to do it it seems daft to buy it. It looks labour intensive, but then I'd have the satisfaction of having done it myself, I'm going to do some timber cladding for inside too..

Does water running off it stain surfaces below out of interest? 

15 minutes ago, Tom D said:

I think you brush all the excess carbon off so probably not.. Although you can leave it really black for the crocodile skin effect.. maybe then it would..

If your going for a heavy char the best option is to immediately run cold water over the flaming board whilst brushing it with a stiff brush. This stops the charring evenly, removes the excess carbon and helps create a sealed finish.

It's a technique I plan to use when we get to that stage with our house.

1 minute ago, Conor Wright said:

If your going for a heavy char the best option is to immediately run cold water over the flaming board whilst brushing it with a stiff brush. This stops the charring evenly, removes the excess carbon and helps create a sealed finish.

It's a technique I plan to use when we get to that stage with our house.

Where did you learn about this? got a link, or a book to recommend?