Best arb truck?

Rennie29

Thanks for the reply, yeah I get what you mean about comfort... I was looking at the isuzu grafters aswell but not sure they would be great in terms of comfort 

Your right there. Deeply unpleasant to drive.
Very bouncy. Tippy feeling in corners. Nasty gearbox.
I’m not sold on the 1.9 engine

What they do score very well on is a narrow wheel base , excellent turning circle and no overhang at the front so manoeuvring on small driveways etc etc makes them handy for a lot of domestic arb work where getting kit into a drive is tight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We run a Sprinter and a 7.5 ton DAF LF. 

7.5 tonners are so much better for large takedowns etc, and are just on the edge for Domestic work. sometimes you'll get it on the drive, other times you wont. Another plus is that you can upsize the chipper, and not worry about how it tows when fully loaded,  (hardly notice a 1.5 ton 8inch machine)

The sprinter has been great. Don't worry about the single rear wheel, its got plenty of carrying capacity. All these NPRs, Canters etc with big boy springs and massive bodies are running waaay over weight when loaded up. When brimmed and with 3 guys in, our sprinter is bang on 3.5 ton, and it pulls like a train still. They Drive the best out of all the vans imo, they're reliable, and parts are readily available. worth a look.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest Gimlet

Don't want to hijack this but I'm interested in this thread. What's the approximate cost of converting a standard Sprinter tipper into an arb tipper?

On 16/02/2022 at 14:58, parkertrees said:

7.5 tonners are so much better for large takedowns etc, and are just on the edge for Domestic work. sometimes you'll get it on the drive, other times you wont. Another plus is that you can upsize the chipper, and not worry about how it tows when fully loaded,  (hardly notice a 1.5 ton 8inch machine)

The sprinter has been great. Don't worry about the single rear wheel, its got plenty of carrying capacity. All these NPRs, Canters etc with big boy springs and massive bodies are running waaay over weight when loaded up. When brimmed and with 3 guys in, our sprinter is bang on 3.5 ton, and it pulls like a train still. They Drive the best out of all the vans imo, they're reliable, and parts are readily available. worth a look.

A 2nd for sprinter good payload good to drive & be remapped to 180hp just put dual springs on the rear

• Like 1

On 16/02/2022 at 15:58, parkertrees said:

Brimmed with a full tank of Diesel?

Sorry, but i'm a little bit sceptic that any 3,5t arbtruck full of chip isn't vastly over weight :)

(The worst i've had was winter felled beech, nearly 500kg per m3, hence my scepticism)

1 hour ago, Johny Walker said:

A 2nd for sprinter good payload good to drive & be remapped to 180hp just put dual springs on the rear

After what a have heard about them from local bin men how use them for pick rubbish up were dustcart can't get to, one they run has had chassis welded twice just behind cab 

1 hour ago, Gimlet said:

Don't want to hijack this but I'm interested in this thread. What's the approximate cost of converting a standard Sprinter tipper into an arb tipper?

How long is a piece of string?
At the bottom end 3 pieces of ply <£100
At the top a professional job, countless thousands.

Guest Gimlet
7 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

How long is a piece of string?
At the bottom end 3 pieces of ply <£100
At the top a professional job, countless thousands.

Yes I get that. But I'm talking about a professionally fitted aluminium body. There must be a ball park figure for this work. It's a not uncommon procedure. 

I have looked online but firms offering conversions or selling ready converted trucks invariably state POA and as it's Sunday and they're all shut I thought I'd ask here in case anyone had gone down that route. 

Edited by Gimlet

11 hours ago, Gimlet said:

10 hours ago, josharb87 said:

Brimmed with a full tank of Diesel?

Sorry, but i'm a little bit sceptic that any 3,5t arbtruck full of chip isn't vastly over weight :)

(The worst i've had was winter felled beech, nearly 500kg per m3, hence my scepticism)

With a normal "full load" of chip. the box isn't full length though, got a fairly hefty size toolbox.

My mates got a weighbridge on his farm, next time its there ill try snap a picture. We built the back ourselves with ally and tried to keep it as light as possible.