Stein rc3001 modification to take the winch

ledders666

Hi.

I just picked up a rc3001 bollard of eBay.

I'm wanting to modify it and make a winch for lifting and pre tensioning such as the one stein now make. (Basically a direct DIY copy of it)

Has anyone done this before and if so what winch did you use? I've found the spec of the stein one but I'm not finding it in the UK. So looking for alternatives.

Thanks

I’d been considering doing similar with my rc2001 and using something like this-

Perfect for manoeuvring vehicles, large industrial equipment, crates and other heavy objects. This multipurpose 4...

Not sure how much lift you would get but it would work well enough with a prussik on the rigging rope, and you could back it off once the pre tension is on? 

So I've done some research and come up with this as a reasonably priced alternative to the winch the Stein use

It has a 1200lbs lift, a little less than steins theirs is 1500lbs. but a slightly faster ratio to wind it in at 4.1:1. Steins is 5.1:1. And importantly an automatic brake so the load stay up.
I found all the winch info on a Reg coates video detailing the RCW3001 winch. And this is the closest I can find for a low a cost as possible.

You can get the tiger winch for a out £70 inc VAT and postage.

So I'm going for one of those so then it will be a case of cutting the top bit of the bollard and fabricating a mount for it.

I'll keep posting progress
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ledders666 said:

So I've done some research and come up with this as a reasonably priced alternative to the winch the Stein use

It has a 1200lbs lift, a little less than steins theirs is 1500lbs. but a slightly faster ratio to wind it in at 4.1:1. Steins is 5.1:1. And importantly an automatic brake so the load stay up.
I found all the winch info on a Reg coates video detailing the RCW3001 winch. And this is the closest I can find for a low a cost as possible.

You can get the tiger winch for a out £70 inc VAT and postage.

So I'm going for one of those so then it will be a case of cutting the top bit of the bollard and fabricating a mount for it.

I'll keep posting progress

The only issue I could see (and I’m probably wrong) is that you would have to wind your rope onto the drum to Add tension-how Will you then add wraps onto the bollard to lower the piece as you can’t lower it on the winch? 

23 minutes ago, Treetom15 said:

The only issue I could see (and I’m probably wrong) is that you would have to wind your rope onto the drum to Add tension-how Will you then add wraps onto the bollard to lower the piece as you can’t lower it on the winch? 

Use a separate rope prussiced onto lowering line  to add tension or raise load. separate ropes for each operation. May only need a 5-6m rope as a winch rope.

Edited by htb
spelling